Need help with high pings on wireless USB

Closed
Blickter - Aug 24, 2008 at 07:58 PM
 Blickter - Aug 25, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Hey,
Here is the issue I'm having. I bought a linksys wireless network adapter, model no (WUSB54GC). I brought it home, followed the instructions (ie installed programs before connecting router), and everythign was good. It worked perfect for about 7 days. I'll note that I'm staying in a hotel for work, but walls are obviously not an issue, since I was getting a good connection. However, my friend and I installed an ethernet cable to play a LAN game, and in doing so we were having issues, so we tried creating a few networks, VPN, etc. We then realized we were being stupid and it worked fine without the networks, which were promptly deleted. The next day I went to use my internet, which still works (I'm posting on it now), but it has nearly a second of latency (consistently over 600ms pings to google.ca, etc.) I called linksys and they confirmed that the product itself is installed perfectly and is not defective, but they couldn't give me any support on my network settings. My suspicion is that I changed some settings when I was playing with networks. However, I'm a network noob(to wireless at hotels anyways) and I can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong. Please help, I sit around all day playing computer games, and with 1000ms pings its impossible! Ultimate boredom!
Related:

1 response

c_naresh2004 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday August 23, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2008
Aug 25, 2008 at 01:36 AM
Ok We will work on this...

You told that google is taking heavy ms delay what about remaining sites and all..
Yeah, everything was pinging at about 600ms. Warcraft 3 has independent programs to check other players pings (eliminate laggers), and I was hitting 600+ pings every time.

However, this morning I woke up, turned my computer on and noticed my e-mail attachments opening faster than usual. I pinged google again and my ping was back down to 40 ms. As mysteriously as it started. Perhaps the hotel did something to their router and fixed it overnight?

Anyways, don't spend too much time on this, but it would be interesting if anyone had any idea what happened.