-
Registration date
Wednesday February 20, 2008
Status
Last seen
February 9, 2009
-
Hello,
Im curious to know why peoplw use linux.. Whats the difference compared to windows?
Related:

5 replies

It is free, stable OS,fast, secure /no viruses, no defragmentation/, better performance, resource usage-real multitasking,fast-n-easy-2-upgrade-update /Synaptic,apt-get,slapt-get,Yum,portage,Click-n-run etc./, excellent community support,fast debugging,multi-OS-compatible formats,wide range of hardware support, a bunch of software,automagically detected hardware with almost all drivers built-in-kernel, so much hware works out-of-the-box,extremely customizable 4 every user need...,learning courve-educational. Hard to break,abuse or corrupt the whole system. Easiest than ever to migrate and adopt completely...Various GUI possibilities, so good-looking, practical widgets...best 3D desktop usability...
I've been a MS Windows user since the DOS days. I stumbled upon Linux in a library book. I guess curiosity got the best of me. I installed it along side of MS Win98se and compared. The same with MS XP. I found myself always going to Linux because it was less a hassle to use. When I discovered the philosophy and motive behind Linux and the usefulness of the programs I was hooked. MS Windows forced me to buy hardware upgrades with every new version and then I had to invest so much money if I couldn't find freeware or shareware good enough to matter. I never liked having icons added to my desktop when installing software or having my file manager hidden under layers of start button and menu choices. I don't like having a desktop I can't change when I am sick of looking at it. I don't like user agreements (contracts) for every piece of software. I don't like MS snooping to authenticate my ownership of MS software upon every software upgrade cycle or changes in file formats. Finally I am not impressed by a man and company who has amassed a fortune on the backs of millions of people using his products and can't afford to re-write Windows from scratch with efficient code (no bloat) and needing fewer security patches. So, what's so great about Linux? I can do all the things that I do in MS Windows with my Linux install and it has cost me very little if anything. In this case free has not meant cheap or cheesy. Plus if I wish I can contribute to efforts to maintain, fix or change programs, I don't need to purchase development tools or work for Linux Torvalds. People who work on servers (system admin) and professional coders swear by Linux, now desktop users can enjoy that sense of certainty too. I am convinced that people who are tired of the MS world will find the Linux world refreshing. If you must MS you can also dual-boot or virtual machine, it's all right.
I am not an expert, a system admin or a programmer, just a user in a better place.
Hi, there.
I've actually written an article that particularly answers your question.
https://mssaleh.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/11/
Registration date
Status
Last seen
February 7, 2009
hi yogui7,i will give u the most important factor which is NO VIRUS YYYEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,what do you think???for me it is enough to go for it n u????;-)
Registration date
Status
Last seen
February 9, 2009
hi yogui7,
both are good,,,but i prefer linux as it is safer to use than windows,,,