Internet password issues

Closed
ritchieblack - Dec 6, 2009 at 07:03 PM
 ritchieblack - Dec 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Hello,
Now I've read a couple ways as how to find my internet password but my problem is a bit different. I changed my password a while ago and of course didn't right it down (a very stupid mistake) and now it's impossible for me to connect my new laptop to the linksys router without the password.

I have tried to type in 192.168.1.1 into the search bar but it does not load. Instead a message saying "Connection Virtual Private Connection" comes up and asks me for a password to connect to the i dial-up internet (which sometimes happens) although i am already connected on this computer.If i do enter the password however, it's says it is connecting to 192.168.1.1 it says the it cannot reach the VPN server.

Is there anyway i can find out my internet password or anything i can do to reset the internet connection possibly?
Related:

2 responses

Hi there,

I assume that you are connected to your router by LAN and you need to know your network key which will

connect you to the router. Follow the steps below.

1) Goto Start--->Run then type the command below and hit enter

cmd

Now you will be at command prompt.

2) Type the command given below then press enter

ipconfig/all

3) Now you have to note down the IP address (eg,1.1.1.1) of Default Gateway which i assume is 192.168.0.1

4) After noting down the ip address of default gateway then open internet explorer and enter the default

gateway address and press enter.

5) Now it will ask for your router username and password . If you know that then its fine else ask your service

provider for that or try the most common one

Username: admin
Password: password

6) I assume you are connected to router and now on the left side look for Wireless Settings and click on it.

7) Now you will see change in things on right side . at the bottom you will see your network key .

8) Note it, change it ( choice is always yours) and press ok and finally logout from your router.

I hope this will work for you

Best of luck

Imran Khan
thanks a bunch. so i now have the ip, it had a couple 2's in it which i don't quite understand but whatever. now when i type it in it says authentication required and asks for a user name and password.

I know that i can put "admin" into the password slot but how would i go about getting the user name? I've tried every user name i've ever used on anything.