Linksys WRT54G Does not release WAN IP Adress

Closed
pentagon Posts 1 Registration date Saturday December 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2009 - Dec 13, 2009 at 04:19 AM
 Adil - Aug 18, 2010 at 08:51 AM
Hello Guys,

I have a little problem. I have a Linksys WRT54G that just will not realse its WAN IP adress.

My ISP here in the UK is Virgin Media (Broadband) so therefore ehe Internet Connection Type is set at DHCP.

Recently, Virgin Media have been changing their IP, Gateway and Subnet settings quite regularly which means that sometimes my Internet Connection becomes very slow and sometimes I lose it completely, which is unacceptable.

When I spoke with Virgin Media Customer Services since I thought the problem was at their end, we connected a PC directly to the Broadband Modem and discovered that the dynamic settings for that particular day meant that I was on a completely different IP, Gateway and Subnet Mask to the ones my router was displaying, which would explain regular slow response and disconnections.

So I connected my router back in and went to status....clicked DHCP Release which puts everything to zero........waited a bit and clicked Refresh......waited a bit more and clicked DHCP Renew........It came back with the same IP address, gateway and DNS settings it had before and not a new lot from the new subnet.

I did this several times.....no joy!
I tried resetting the router back to factory settings.....no joy!
I upgraded the firmware to Version: v4.21.1, Nov. 6, 2006......no joy!

There simply does not seem to be any way of flushing out the WAN settings and have the modem queery the ISP for a completely new set. It is even more bizarre that even after doing the Firmware ugrade, that it still picks up those same IP group. You would have thought that a Firware upgrade would flush everything out.

Or am I missing the point here - have I missed something???

Hope someone can help.
Related:

1 response

try this,
go to the wireless network setings, tcp ip setting and change the property from manual to automatic