-
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
-
Hi, everyone. I've got a combination of problems with a laptop, and I haven't found a solution yet, so I'm hoping that one of you can help me.

The laptop has a virus that sent it into the infinite reboot loop (logs on, then immediately logs off, then logs on, then logs off, etc.).

I can't boot into safe mode. It goes back into the log on/log off loop.

I've tried booting from the XP CD so I can repair the installation or just format the drive and start from scratch, but it tells me that no hard drive is found.

At first I suspected that the XP CD might not have drivers for the SATA drive, but it was able to find the SATA drive on my desktop computer.

I'm stuck. Where do I go from here?

3 replies

Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
It's not the SATA drive that Windows XP has problems with. It's the SATA controller in the laptop that is the problem. I don't know if you can do it with your laptop, but try going into the BIOS set-up and have a look to see if you can tell it to use the SATA controller in IDE or PATA mode.
I disabled the native SATA mode in the BIOS and was able to get it going.

Thanks!
Is there any down side in leaving the native SATA mode disabled, or any advantage in enabling it again?

Hi Eric,

I think your HDD crashed in the process, so you will have to change for another one !
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
It will be a little slower for hard disk reads.