Windows XP soooo slow its unusable

Closed
PDXJeff - Dec 16, 2009 at 09:34 PM
 PDXJeff - Dec 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM
The last few days my computer running XP is running so slow it's virtually unusable. Once it gets to the welcome screen, it takes at least an hour just to progress to the desktop, and then another long interval until the Windows start menu even comes up. If it gets that far, every attempt then to open or start a program or task is super slow as well.

I expect what brought this on is the Power company was out that day and installed a new wireless meter, and brought the power down in the process. However, I have the system plugged into a surge protector.

Anyone out there have any advice on what I could try aside from reinstalling Windows?

Thanks in advance.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 16, 2009 at 09:53 PM
Did you do a virus scan?
I am going to try running it from Safe mode, since I am unable to even run my virus scan due to the slow response time. I'll post an update on how it goes.

Thanks.
tanujtheonlyman Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday December 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2009
Dec 17, 2009 at 06:40 AM
Hy
This is Tanuj

From my Side you can you the Tuneup Software it can mack your pc of fast But if you use it in a Right Way