Virus? has blocked my menu bar and downloads

Closed
Kfc - Feb 26, 2010 at 07:35 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jun 28, 2010 at 08:13 AM
Hello,
I was minding my own business on Facebook this morning (just home page, not games or applications), and suddenly my computer told me it had completed a download. It was some security program the kind that tells you you have a zillion viruses so download their program now. I didn't fall for it and was able to find the application and delete it, although it did not show up on my list of "add/remove software". Now the "warnings" don't come up anymore, but my IE browser isn't working right. I have no toolbars of any kind - just a blank space, and all downloads are blocked.
HELP!!!!
I just lost my other computer due to an old hard drive, and I can't afford to lose this one too!
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Feb 27, 2010 at 06:13 AM
Hello KFC,

Good news, you won't loose this computer! Also I salute your wisdom for not falling into the crooks's trap!

This virus is a rogue Trojan which is self protective. It is running processes which will sometimes prevent downloading and running antivirus tools, it will sometimes prevent your antivirus from detecting it.

Here is I wish for you to do as suggested by "Bleeping Computer":

We must first end and delete the processes

Here is direct link to download and run RKILL:

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

1. Download Rkill to your desktop

double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Security Tool and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Security Tool when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Security Tool . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

Download Malwarebyte:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

2.When the file has finished downloading, look on your desktop for mbam-setup.exe and right-click on it and select Rename. The title of the program will now have a blinking cursor where you can edit the name. Please change the name of the program to Explorer.exe.

3.After you rename the mbam-setup.exe to Explorer.exe, close all your programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

4.Double-click on the icon on your desktop named Explorer.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

5.When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing and is at the last screen, make sure you uncheck both of the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware check boxes. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

Please give us some feedback as we like to read about happy endings.
I realize it's been a few months, but I'm having the same problem, and I like how you ignored the fact that we CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING, lol. Thanks for the reply anyway, I'll see if I can download it on a laptop and get an email attachment through.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Jun 28, 2010 at 08:13 AM
Hello Scda,

If you boot your machine is safe mode with networking it should allow you to download.

Try it and let me know.

Regards