Windows xp sp3 loading

Closed
flrfth - Mar 3, 2010 at 02:21 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 5, 2010 at 06:00 PM
Hello,

Running Windows XP3 using Internet Explorer 8 (rencently upgraded to 8) on an Toshiba A215 laptop. Problem; I upgraded Windows Media and now the Operating system (Windows XP SP3) won't load at all, tried system restore and restored it to a earlier date and time, tried the "last know configuration" but still nothing. While tring to load it goes to the black screen with safe mode options etc... I can access Windows XP via safe mode however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Related:

7 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 5, 2010 at 04:21 PM
No problem, let is fool the system:

Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type ""Administrator"" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from ""Control Panel -> User Accounts"".

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

If the above does not work, let me know...there is another method, a little more complex.

Best regards
That work ! Thanks.

Now I'm on the DOS screen, I typed in "help" to get an list of commands but not sure which command to use to fix the problem or to undo the windows media player upgrade or if any.

Thanks.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 3, 2010 at 05:11 PM
Hello,

Have you tried checking your disk?

Click right on start and run, type chkdsk and okay.

Please try it and come back as you may also need some registry error repair.

Best regards
Ambucias,

Hey,

I ran chkdsk, it went through all the scans and returned "verification complete", I normally use reg cure to scan, clean and fix reg files, and as I've done this time as well, also I just replaced the hard drive about three months ago.

Thanks
Mar 4, 2010 at 05:09 AM
Hi,

When in safe mode, if you reinsert your XP disk, will it not give you the option to repair?
Ambucias,

I only wish I still had the XP disk.
Mar 4, 2010 at 04:04 PM
How did you get the Windows XP on your machine?

The only thing I can think of now, if you don't have the disk is to completely reinstall from when you first got the system, data which much be on your other drive.

It would have been much easier if you had those disks.

Best regards
Ambucias,

OK I'll try searching the other hard drive, the disk were lost during a move. Thanks for the information.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 5, 2010 at 05:31 AM
Hello,

In most cases, people have a "C" and a "D" drive. The "D" containing the restore data.

Some manufacturer such as HP/Compaq will allow you to reinstall the system and even create a new reinstallation CD's.

Please look in Accessories, tools and system reinstallation to see if you have that option.

Good luck
Ambucias,

We found the win xp disk !!! (an copy of it anyway) can I use the cd to fix the problem?
Mar 5, 2010 at 01:52 PM
Hello,

Do you mean a copy of the original ot just any?

I have nothing to loose by trying. Insert the disk which should be plug and play and see if it gives you the option to repair. If it does not open, try opening the disk with Explorer, even if you must go into safe mode.

If not, as I mentionned before, look into accessories, see if you can run system reinstallation which may be on your "D" drive. That reinstalls the system to where it was at the time of purchase; then all of your applications would need to be reinstalled also.

Let me know how it goes.

P.S. What make is your computer or is it a clone?
Hey,

went through the procedure of repair via "recovery console" but now stuck on Administrator password, in order to logon it needs an admin password but there is nor had there ever been an password set.

Thanks
Ambucias,

The laptop is Toshiba, Satellite A215 series
Mar 5, 2010 at 06:00 PM
Hi,

That's great!

Well, I don't know why you are doing in DOS or what you are saying about the Windows Media Upgrade.

A friend of mind used to say, when in doubt, press escape or reboot.

How did get in DOS anyway? May be that I don't want to know!

I am really happy that we have a happy ending despite the work left loading all of these applications.

Should you need further help, please come back.

If you become a member of Kioskea (free) you can always send me a private message.

Take care

P.S. I am signing off for the day.