Copy/paste without using explorer.exe?

Closed
Anonymous User - Mar 11, 2010 at 05:35 PM
 Genu7ne - Mar 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Hello,

Mine is corrupted. I don't have the Vista CD. I just need to back some files up. But every time I copy/paste, it crashes completely. I tried a couple of Windows Explorer alternatives but copying/pasting ultimately uses explorer.exe, so my system crashed.

Is there a way to copy/paste without using windows explorer?
Related:

6 responses

Anonymous User
Mar 11, 2010 at 05:45 PM
Same thing.
Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023  
Mar 11, 2010 at 05:54 PM
Did you try an antivirus / antimalware ?
Anonymous User
Mar 11, 2010 at 06:58 PM
it's a hardware/software problem. A hard object fell on my laptop and it cant boot in normal mode, only safe mode. In safe mode, explorer.exe is obviously corrupted. It had no problems in the past. I had an anti-virus that updated regularly.
Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023  
Mar 12, 2010 at 06:23 AM
You might try with the keyboard only, if this turns to be a mouse issue.

Press both Shift and F10 keys simultaneously to right-click or directly Ctrl-C / ctrl-V

If you are trying to move files, then you'd better try to open a prompt (Start / Execute / cmd) and use old goods copy / move commands.

Jeff

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Well you can use Command Prompt, when windows begins, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Ctrl + Shift + Esc (basically open Task Manager) Goto File > New Task (Run...) and type cmd.exe

When command prompt begins, use XCOPY

For example if you want to copy "My Documents" and you have an external drive plugged in which would come up as E: for example. Simply do the following:

Windows XP

xcopy C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\My Documents E:\

Windows Vista to 7

xcopy C:\users\*your username*\Documents\ E:

If you want to backup all your files then i would consider doing this:

xcopy C:\ E:\

My username is genu7ne and im running windows 7 so i would put:

xcopy C:\users\genu7ne\My Documents\ E:

To find out what folders you have simply type:

Windows 7/Vista: dir C:\users\*your username*\
Windows XP: dir C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\

To find out your username simply type:

net user

Hope this helps
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING
https://www.000webhost.com/migrate?static=true
Wickedsi Posts 5 Registration date Thursday March 11, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 11, 2010
Mar 11, 2010 at 05:43 PM
Try the click and drag mode