Are files and email safe from Win XP repair?

Solved/Closed
angelhelp - Mar 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM
In efforts to get my computer back up to speed I called PC Tools to ask how to use Registry Mechanic 8 to restore my registry back to a previous date. The IDIOT tech insisted my problem was all because I needed the new version of Registry Mechanic 9, and during installation he insisted on deleting my backup files. As I expected nothing improved and all I got was, "Sorry for the inconvenience!"
I am now hoping that running Win XP repair will put back the Win XP files that Registry Mechanic deleted. I know it would be best to just reformat and reload everything, but I have tens of thousands of files that would take me weeks to reload.
I saw the statement about how to run Win XP Repair and that it would not overwrite my personal files. Does this include any files I have personally saved anywhere on my computer, including EMAILS? I do not have a drive big enough to back up all the data and I need to get my computer up and running better ASAP. I do not have a week or more to reformat and reload everything. Is it safe to run repair? Thanks, James
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Hello James,

This figures about Registry Mechanics, they are great to sell it though! I personaly don't believe in that product.

Anyhow, back to business.

May I suggest that your try a system non destructive restore, that is going back to a date when your system was healthy.

There better ways to speed-up your machine then registry mechanics.

Finally, Windows repair should not delete any files in "My documents"

Regards
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM
I forgot, your mails in Outlook or Outlook Express are safe.