MS Word not displaying page numbers, images

Solved/Closed
Janu - Updated on Apr 13, 2018 at 07:16 PM
 soroush - Jul 10, 2019 at 06:56 PM
Hello,
So far MS word worked fine. But now it is not showing up images. Also not even page numbers. Instead showing up {Page}. Please let me know why this happens? How to bring them out?
Related:

12 replies

In Word 2007 :
  • File[Office Button] / Word Options / Advanced / Show Document content
  • uncheck "show field codes instead of their values"
vectron3443 Posts 20 Registration date Monday August 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 8
Oct 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM
have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling office on your pc?
Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to write the answer. It worked.
Thank you very much. This was driving me nuts with the pictures not displaying.
saquib Ansari > secretgreg
Jan 7, 2009 at 02:09 AM
Dear brother,

thank you I was able to see the images and page numbers
Thailand user
Jan 9, 2009 at 03:50 AM
Thanks..
File[Office Button]=>Word Options=>Advanced=>Show Document content and uncheck "show field codes instead of their values"
Go to Tools->Options ->View-> Show - Uncheck(clear) the field codes.
Thank you this was killing me for weeks.
Thank you, I've been putting up with this for ages, constantly using shift+F9 to toggle the field codes back to normal.
Thank you very much...
Great tip... This has been bugging me for the last couple of days and I came across this post. Thanks for your help.
thanks! sharu.. that really worked!
None of the above suggestions worked for me until I tried this: (Word 2003)
1. Click the Tools->Options menu item.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Uncheck the Picture Placeholders checkbox.
4. Click OK.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I was vexed by this problem for about a week, then I searched online and came up with this forum. For MS-Word 2003, I went to Tools, Options, View. (1) If Field Codes Box is checked, you will see the the code (EMBED Word Picture.8), so un-check this box. (2) If Picture Placeholder Box is checked, you will see the an outline of the picture, but no picture, so un-check this box. I have no idea how these boxes got checked. Perhaps I received some Word file that had these options and somehow during a Word recovery, the document template got updated to these settings.
Thanks, (2) worked which was a great help.
Thank you so much!
Fantastic, many thanks
lulubell Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 26, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 26, 2012
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Thank you so, so much! I spent about an hour trying to figure out what the problem was by Googling, Googling, Googling. Everything was working fine yesterday, but all of a sudden, my images weren't showing up anymore. I have no idea how that box got checked, but I unchecked it and now all is back to normal. I really can't thank you enough :)! Your advice was the only thing that did the trick! You're the best.
Use the keystroke Alt+F9 to toggle field code display on/off...faster than going thru the menus.
Ok, so if anyone is experiencing the same issue as I did here is a half but working solution. I use WORD2007 and I wanted to add page numbers to my pages, but when I did so, nothing happened. I was thinking maybe I did something wrong, but as I fiddled with Table of Contents and Table of Images, both of them showed up the accurate page numbers, so I became suspicious. I think something is wrong with this new office, or the software distribution was faulty. Dunno, but I checked and unchecked in the Document field codes box, and nothing happened. So WORD2007 did not even put a field code in the area where I put the page numbers. To overcome this problem I opened a document which had page numbering, and I was curious of the page number code. It was { PAGE }, so I CTRL-C, CTRL-V-ed into my document, once again checked the (In Word 2007
File[Office Button]=>Word Options=>Advanced=>Show Document content and uncheck "show field codes instead of their values") box and voila! I had my document with page numbers!
I too had the same problem. Tools>Options>view and unchecking field codes worked for me. Thanks a lot sharu.

Microsoft products keep misbehaving once in a while.
Nathaniel Assis
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM
i would also add that in some cases it will help to uncheck the "Show picture placeholders" in addition to "Show field codes instead of their values".
The below reference workout me.Thanks !!! for the reference

Go to Tools->Options ->View-> Show - Uncheck(clear) the field codes
I used to see the same issue in my machine. And previously I used to select the {page} and right-click and then click on "Toggle filed codes".
Thanks a lot for the answer on how to fix this problem.
--------------------------------------------
http://rameshnatesan.blogspot.com
If you mean your pictures, diagrams, graphs and anything you might add into your document from another source:
Go into Word > Tools > Options > View > Then uncheck (clear) Picture Placeholders.
That will show everything in regular view, instead of just print review.