REAL Windows XP networker required

Closed
raize - Oct 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM
 Skcollob - Mar 31, 2009 at 02:46 PM
Hello,
This is a real curly one for someone who knows windows and networking really well.

THE SETUP: I'm running windows XP SP3 on my PC. I am connected wirelessly to my modem/router. I have a PS3 and an XBOX connected via ethernet cable to the modem/router.

Both my PC and my PS3 can access the internet with no problem. (i have connected the XBOX to merely stream videos to, from my PC).
I can ping both my PS3 and my XBOX, but cannot connect to either. My PS3 cannot see any Media Servers on my PC and I am unable to map a shared directory on my PC from the XBOX.

Here's the thing...
When a friend of mine visits with his laptop (running Windows XP), he connects (wirelessly) to my home network. When he does, he is able to see not only my PC, but also the PS3, and I cannot see him!
This leads me to believe that the problem is not the PS3 or the XBOX or the router or the wireless connection. The problem has something to do with settings in windows on my PC.

I have check and unchecked just about everything. I have installed just about every protocol and service. I have read numerous articles on the subject. And still, nothing.

If anyone knows exactly what the problem is, would you please shed some light before i commit suicide?
Related:

4 responses

horromark Posts 5 Registration date Friday October 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 26, 2008
Oct 25, 2008 at 02:58 PM
I am no expert m8, but i think it may have something to do with the following, Please do not quote me on this, I would recommend doing a search on this particular module.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>............
Network connections>Local area connections>Properties>advanced>settings>advanced>ICMP settings. There may be something in there that might help you.

Get back to us with a response, as i am due to go wireless, and the kids have a PS3!!!

Mark
raize Posts 1 Registration date Friday October 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 25, 2008
Oct 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM
Thanks horromark.
Tried checking the appropriate boxes in ICMP but also, no go :(
Don't despair, I'm almost sure your network will be fine... like almost everyone else's. As I said, my friend logs on with no problem when he visits, so i'm positive it has something to do with my PC. It can be nothing else.
horromark Posts 5 Registration date Friday October 24, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 26, 2008
Oct 26, 2008 at 04:45 PM
Hi Raize, Try this. I think from your comments this is what your actually trying to achieve!

Open Windows Media Player 11
From the toolbar, select Library then Media Sharing
Check "Share my media"
On the PS3 - Under Video, Photos or Music, select "Scan for media server"
Go back to the PC, and you should see a pop up showing an unknown device trying to connect.
Allow the device, and everything should work.

Using Simplecenter as the server

Download Simplecenter from http://www.simplecenter.com/
Install - If you only want the basic version, just click next when it asks you to create an account.
Select your shared media folders and let it scan.
Click next one last time.
Check your PS3 and your media server should now be visible.

Other Windows Notes

I've heard that many people are using Nero MediaHome and consider it to be the most feature-rich server
Hi Mark,
I've seen this in other forums and have already tried it. Still nothing.
I've started to wonder though, as the motherboard I am using is relatively new (recently released), whether this may be the problem. However, I've checked the settings there but cannot find anything out of the ordinary. I have the latest BIOS upgrade, but if it is the motherboard, they may not have fixed it yet... I don't know, I'm really clutching at straws now.
Thanks for your input all the same.
Hi Raize

Have you tried disabling your windows firewall?
Before you test disconnect your router from your ADSL connection as I would not recommend disabling your firewall when connected to the internet ;-)

If this resolves your issue then your issue lies with the configuration of your windows firewall. You will need to check that you have file sharing allowed for local area network.

Let me know how you get on.