Problem with my WRT54G2 Connection

Closed
Gans - Nov 4, 2008 at 07:36 AM
 matt - Jul 10, 2010 at 06:15 PM
Hello,
My WRT54G2 intermittently keeps dropping the connection.
Once connected, it shows 54Mbps, but after a while, the number keeps dropping down until it comes to 1Mbps when no connection goes out. (Rather when I see the connection doesn't work, the wireless status shows 1Mbps).
This is inspite of me not moving an inch (and I sit within 10feet of the router. )

I have tried changing the channel to different numbers over time (but with no effect).

I used to have the wireless station from microsoft networking and it never used to have problems. My laptop holds a steady connection everywhere else which makes me thing it is the router that is the problem.

It looks like there are quite a few people with the same problem with linksys.

The problem is quite annoying particularly when on VPN connection since that I guess requires continuous availability. (It also looks to me like the problem is acute when on vpn. I use checkpoint which is my company standard. Again, I have never had issues on it with my earlier router, nor do I have problems elsewhere)

My firmware is uptdate.
My router is setup for mixed network (although g is what is used) and on WPA2 security.

Regards,
Gans

2 responses

Login to your router http://192.168.1.1 and right below the setup tab u will find MTU... change that to a manual setting and change it to 1400. it worked for me.
I just bought WRT54G2. Easy setup, but I have the same problems with wireless.

It starts at 54Mbps, after this is dropping down to 1Mbps. At 1 Mbps is not working. Needs network repair. It is doing this from 1 to 5 minutes. There are no other wifi netowkrs in range. My Laptop is FCS Lifebook with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Adapter. I have no problems with it and WRT54GL and WRT54GS routers.
Do you have any other desktops/laptops connecting to the network wirelessly at the same time?
If yes, do they both have Wireless-G adapter? If one is Wireless-B then change your Wireless Network Mode to B-Only. Now you should have constant 11 Mbs connection.
If you don't have any other laptops and/or only Wireless-G adapters are in use, change your Wireless Network Mode to G-Only. By default it is set to MIXED. Change it accordingly to your wireless adapter and you should be fine.
Let me know if this was of any help.