Laptop won't turn on

Closed
help me - May 19, 2010 at 03:54 PM
 Ellen - May 19, 2010 at 07:12 PM
Hello,

I have a dell inspiron b130. When I try to turn it on, the middle light at the top flashes some, and the light at the bottom far left of it comes on and after a second it goes off. Someone told me the light at the top is an alpha lock (?) and that I have somehow locked my laptop. I have no idea what this means lol At first I thought maybe it was the charger so I bought another one and it didn't change a thing.... I don't know much about how computers work and am at a complete loss as to what to do....

Related:

1 response

Hi!

The light on the bottom far left, if it has the circle and a line in the middle, is the power LED.
Here are steps to diagnose your problem properly:
1. Take the battery out, connect the charger to power strip/wall outlet. Turn it on. If same symptoms, try with the battery only. If it powers up with ac only, then battery is bad. You can further check this by going to control panel> power options> battery health meter.
2. Run PSA diagnostics. While system is off, hold down Fn and then press the ON/OFF button. A black screen will come up with "Diagnostics Boot Selected". Wait for the results of the test. If it asks you, "Were color bars displayed? You have to press y for yes and n for no. If the diagnostics does not even come up on the screen, there's a big possibility the mobo is dead. Otherwise, if you hear beeping sounds followed by an error code, google the code. If it's 2000-0142, 2000-0146, the hard drive failed and needs to be replaced.
If your computer has active warranty for hardware, call them to have the replacement processed. Otherwise, check out local computer stores for compatible parts.

Post back if you have more questions.