Ndis.sys, missing LEGACY_NDIS registry entry

Closed
Garden - May 22, 2010 at 07:54 AM
 garden - May 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM
After copying a good ndis.sys in c:/windows/system32/drivers/ndis.sys, my computer would not start but in "Safe Mode". Hence, I am trying your (test2004 May 14, 2010 1:116pm BST post) extra step. All the entries but the ones with [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NDIS...]
are already in my registry. Trying to use your script to add these extra entries is not working at all - I get "Cannot import C:\x.reg: Error accessing the registry". (I can do other changes using regedit hence, permissions are not the issue.) Could you please advice how to add these missing entries by hand in the registry?
THANKS!

2 responses

lsi-92 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday May 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 22, 2010 4
May 22, 2010 at 09:32 PM
To add subkeys to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root key, you must first give yourself permissions to edit the key:

1. Open REGEDIT
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\
3. in the left pane, right-click the "root" key
4. click permissions
5. click the Add button
6. type "Administrator" into the box, then click OK
7. click Administrator (once)
8. in the Permissions for Administrator panel, in the Allow column, tick the box [ ] Full Control
9. click OK

Now, subkeys can be imported by Administrator to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root key. Double-click a valid .REG file to import. REGEDIT should update the screen automatically.

Once the import is successful, remove the permissions you just added:

1. Open REGEDIT (if not already open)
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\
3. in the left pane, right-click the "root" key
4. click permissions
5. click Administrator (once)
6. click the Remove button
7. click OK

Note, I think that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet key is a mirror of one of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetXXX keys (where XXX is a number). In my testing, I did not need to add to the "CurrentControlSet" key, it was auto-updated when I added the key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001.

Note, the key should be added to ControlSet002, ControlSet003 etc if they exist.

Once all the keys have been added, and permissions reset back to normal, reboot.

Assuming you were trying to fix a blue-screen/reboot following replacing NDIS.SYS, and your system was otherwise OK, you should now find that you can login in normal mode.

For more on the NDIS.SYS problem, see this thread: https://ccm.net/forum/affich-86872-code-39-error-on-network-cards-due-to-virus
Thanks! This extra step resolved the ndis.sys problem for me.
Have a nice weekend!

Garden