Computer will not boot to windows

Closed
potlis00 - May 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM
 potlis00 - May 30, 2010 at 04:24 PM
I have a desktop (custom) that will not boot to Windows XP SP3. If I run CHKDSK from the windows recovery console I am able to get it to load for a few hours, then it will just shut down and not boot again. The shutdown is random with no pattern. When trying to use the Windows Boot menu the computer will shut down and not allow me into Safe Mode or Last known good.

I have tested all the hardware, power supply, Temperatures, fan speeds and flashed the BIOS - loading the most recent version.

I have run dianostics using the tools from ultimated boot CD on the CPU, the motherboard and RAM with no errors found.

CHKDSK does find errors and 'fixes them all'.

The harddrive has been formatted with a new copy of SP3 on it.

The computer has an AMD Semperon 3.6 processing with an ABIT NF-M2S motherboard. There are 2gig of ram and all components are onboard.

The computer has no floppy drive, 2 SATA drives and one IDE Drive.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this and how to fix?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM
If CHKDSK is constantly finding errors that would indicate a problem with the hard disk. If you have another hard drive I suggest you try that one.

Good Luck
I have tried multiple wortking drives with no success and the Hard drive in question works fine in another PC...Thanks for taking the time to respond. This is one of the most frustrating issues I have had yet.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 30, 2010 at 04:19 PM
You might need to trash the motherboard. It could be a problem with the HD controller or just stray electrical noise on the motherboard caused by bad components.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks again!