Laptop wont connect to hard drive

Closed
austin - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:40 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 7, 2010 at 05:06 PM
Hello,

i transferred my itunes music to external hard drive, but now when i select a song it says it cant be found and i have to locate in on the hard drive, to confuse it more a few days ago it work fine and i am sure i dodnt do anythign differnet.
loads of suggestions of have har drive connected before turing on laptop, use same usb port etc..aint working

could do with more intelligent life form assistance

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 7, 2010 at 05:06 PM
"more intelligent life form assistance" can only be found if you pay for the service.
You get what you pay for.

Sorry for the unintelligent answer.

Windows assigns external drive letters dynamically each time you connect the drive. If you have a USB flash drive connected when you attached the hard drive then it bumped the drive letter from E to F. Windows complicates the problem by sometimes remembering the drive letters it assigns.
You can somewhat control this by changing the drive letter to one at the end of the alphabet (like X) before you move files to it. Then when Windows screws up the drive letter you don't have a drive letter conflict when you change it back to X.

Is it possible that the drive letter has changed and iTunes is still looking for the old drive letter?