Query as to power button reconnection

Closed
barefootcontSa - Jun 8, 2010 at 03:18 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 8, 2010 at 03:47 PM
Hello,
My computer's power button, not the power supply button, the computer on/off button wiring has become disconnected from the round plastic outer button on outside of case. I need specifics on how to reconnect the wiring to the button. At present I fashioned a roboot setting an icon on desktop with %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00 to reboot computer as necessary with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kindest regards;
Sheryl Victoria

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 8, 2010 at 03:47 PM
PC cases made since Windows XP came out have a "momentary contact" switch that trips a relay in the power supply to turn on the computer. Turning it off is done by software/hardware on the motherboard which trips the relay only when windows has shut down. If you have two small wires that connect to the motherboard then you have this type. There might be 10,000 different switches used in the 50,000 different cases that are on the market. A momentary contact switch has a spring that breaks the contact after you release the button. Holding the button down for 10 seconds immediately trips the power supply and turns off the computer without waiting for Windows shutdown to finish.

Good Luck