Laptop on TV?

Solved/Closed
john88 - Feb 13, 2008 at 05:23 AM
 fallcamo - Jun 18, 2010 at 11:40 PM
Hi!

I am trying to find a way to put my laptop on my TV. I have converters for the 3 A/V cords (3 colored cords). For some reason, it doesn't seem like either of my TVs are reading my laptop. I switch to the video channel that should work (I know because it works on my PS2) and nothing comes up. Is there some kind of driver I need to make my laptop send out the right signals to the TV?

The video is connected using this exact VGA to RCA cable.

Thanks in advance!
Related:

27 responses

Has anybody got a solution to this sony full screen no sync problems? I contacted Sony they told me to take to service, but I am not sure will it help. I still have few more days left to take tv back to shop and buy an another brand of tv and if I take to service I propably cannot return tv no more.
It took me a long time for Sony to admit the following in an email to me....

I have had an update from our Product Quality Department and they have been able to reproduce this symptom, they are looking into the issue, however I have not been given any time scale.

they have requested that I get the software version of your TV, if you go to Digital Setup Menu it should be listed.

I sent them the software version and basically they accept there is a problem but have no solution. Their final communication to me after several emails was....

I have checked and the issue is still under investigation within Europe, we can only wait on them coming up with an update, however as I advised before this will take some time as they have to narrow down what is going wrong and then create a new software pack, test it, test the implementation and the launch it via the DTG. I am sorry but this could take a month or two, it is a very weird software glitch and in most instances it would never happen, I understand it can be reproduced by suppling un-natural images or down scaled video, however that is not a fault. we are working as quickly as possible but there are many procedures to go through to make sure everything is correct.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion, however I hope that my e-mail has gone some way to clarify this matter.

Use the HDMI and a set of speakers I would suggest.

Regards

Fitz
Thanks for the info.

I guess i'll have to take the tv back because I have no hdmi interface on any of my three laptops.
It will propably take so long to get official fix for this that warranty voids.

Regs, Pekka
Ok, So I did return the Sony 32P5500 to store, paid 50€ (70$) more for full hd LG 32LH3000. Now I have 1920x1080 resoltuion and no "no sync". Must say that picture is also noticeably sharper and overall better. Sorry Sony I won't miss you. This is my second tv, the main tv is still Sony 40W4500, for which I am satisfied.
Thanx a lot Fitz, helpful info.
I've bought the same KDL 32S5500 model just month ago and tried everything to kill "no sync" sign, but it was effortless. Now I'm not shure what to do next. Should I go back to store and take some other model or should I just wait for them to fix the prob...
Luckily, my warranty lasts two years.
louis17 > Fitz
Dec 15, 2009 at 01:33 PM
Again, thanks a lot for sharing the info on this problem. I've got the exact same issue with a KDL26-S5500 I bought recently.

If you hear anything more from Sony, so let us know!

Does it sound as there there would be some sort of 'self-help' solution, or will it involve taking the set back to a service centre?

Thanks
In order to watch movies from my computer to tv, I press the "Input" button on my tv remote. There is a choice of AV1, AV2, Component 1, Component 2, RGB, HDMI 1, and HDMI . I choose AV1 because that seems to be the only input that will show movies that are on my pc. I also have S-video cable attached from my computer video card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200--which came with the pc) to the S-video port on my tv. Next, I have to figure out how to connect my sound cables from my pc to my tv, but that shouldn't be too hard.
Is your TV High definition ?? Your computer has a digital signal , then you would need a converter. Depending on the TV you could use VGA output to VGA input, also HDMI to HDMI, which I'm doing right now.
wat is yo laptop type? if it is a compaq e.g CQ40, u press "fn+F4" nd use the options u see ther

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
A lot of times you need to go into your video settings and specify tv as the output.
If you have a newer TV it should have a vga input terminal. Connect your laptops vga port to the TV's vga input with vga connectors. Check for pin count. Mine was 3 row, 15 pin. For sound, your TV should also have a single sound input port for a PC. It's like a headphone/mic port but says PC. Hook that to your output port on your PC.

Then to use your TV as a monitor you will use one of your PC function keys usually F5. You know press Fn then the F5 key. It will say lcd, crt, lcd/crt --you choose. I switch it to lcd then press full screen, turn up the volume on my Sony flatscreen TV and stream whatever from my laptop. Hit ESC to go back to PC view to stop, rewind, or discontinue. I leave the vga and sound cables hooked to my TV all the time, so it's handy.

Sorry, but other connectors don't seem to work except S-video maybe. And the signal from your PC to the TV is the same. Digital is just compressed analog. Same signal. So don't let anyone confuse you. Also, do not invest in vga to HDMI connectors. They will not work. I have the latest Onkyo A/V, and I have a Toshiba satellite laptop running XP and the Onkyo manual says that connector still won't work. Just connect the TV directly to your PC for best results via vga connector.

I'm still looking how to run my sound through my A/V and Bose system. My Onkyo A/V has 6 HDMI ports but I use it as the main control. If I hook my sound up any other way I have to switch to a different screen on TV and it won't coincide with my A/V for viewing then. Very confusing, but the lightbulb will go on eventually, and I'll give those directions too.
i had the same problem what u have to do is go through your tv and change your settings to yur tv so you can input to yur pc without it catching a signal and it will come up