Multiple monitor problem

Closed
Mary46 - Jan 14, 2008 at 04:40 AM
tuttifruttisharkki Posts 1 Registration date Friday April 18, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2014 - Apr 18, 2014 at 02:50 AM
Hello,

I have a Sony notebook which I hooked up to a second monitor. When I play a DVD and slide it over to the second monitor, the movie goes black. The audio is still working, but I lost the video.

When I slide it back halfway onto the notebook, the half that's on the notebook is visible and the video on the monitor is black. Is there something wrong with my settings and can this be fixed?

Thanks for your help.
Related:

5 responses

This is a common problem for the dual monitor cards. Simply move your player of choice over to the monitor you want to view your movie on and press STOP than PLAY and the video should work along with the already working audio.

Best Regards,
C2
I have had the same problem in the past, (VLC media player). If you start the video in your primary monitor and drag it to the secondary monitor then close the app. when you re-start it it will start up in the secondary monitor.

Works for me anyway
I found that disabling the disabling the Accelerated video output (Overlay) option in VLC player worked for me.
go to Tools , the Preferences, then Video to find this option.

I was finally able to get videos o display on my second monitor after this.
tuttifruttisharkki Posts 1 Registration date Friday April 18, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 18, 2014
Apr 18, 2014 at 02:50 AM
Disabling the Accelerated video output (Overlay) option in VLC player worked for me too.
Per your instructions, I went to Tools , the Preferences, then Video to find this option.
I am using "Actual Multiple Monitors" for my two monitor setup.
Try to set your second monitor to primary and set your laptop monitor as secondary.

If I'm not wrong, you should be able to view your movie on both screens, whichever you wish to view with.

Hope this works, although I'm not too sure about it.
Often this has to do with the software "attaching" to one monitor or the other. You can change which monitor it displays on by moving the playback program to the monitor _before_ starting to play the video. I believe what is happening is that the video engages drivers that access the hardware more directly (for speed's sake - smoother video), and thus some are not able to handle switching the video output to another piece of hardware while in the middle of playback.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i have the same problem b4.. u may have a old computer or laptop.. decrease the screen size or close some other applications.. hope it helps..