Windows defender

Closed
JudySis - Jan 14, 2008 at 04:35 AM
 Anon - Aug 31, 2008 at 07:24 PM
Hi there!

I have been using Windows Defender for quite a while and it has never found a problem... This has to be wrong. Full scans and quick scans always end with..."Your computer is running normally."

Ad-aware SE and Spybot always find problems. Has anyone else found this problem?

Is it actually a problem? Could it be that whatever definitions loaded to Defender never arrive in my system.

I upgraded to 1.1.1593 yesterday and ran both a full and quick scan and... guess... No problem again...
Related:

3 responses

Hi,
Windows Defender find very few things, yes.
Spybot and Ad aware and Avg antispyware 7.5 and a squared free are finding a lot of things. but only if you meet them.
I use both of them.
Resident of spybot is a very good thing. It is a real wall, every malware spybot knows stay out of your computer, you don't see them in
the system, it's a very good work.

You have good programs protecting you, this is the real reason you can read: "Your computer is running normally."
First of all, check the definition version of Defender. For now, it should be 1.15.2233.6

If Spybot and AdAware are finding something other than cookies, I would be concerned.

Also you need to know that lots of users NEVER find any malware on their computers. You should be happy about that!

What are Spybot and AdAware finding?
I just had great success with Windows Defender.

My wife's machine recently go infected with something that hijacked IE7 - it made the the address bar and toolbar disappear, it popped up adware windows every time I clicked on a link, some of which were made to look like a virus had been detected by an official Microsoft product with a button to click on to fix.

I tried my usual Ad-Aware and Searchbot Search & Destroy, but both of these reported no problems. When I ran Windows Defender, it quickly found and removed two files for the trojan called Vundo.