Pavilion died- black screen, what to do?

Closed
Pax - Jun 25, 2010 at 01:43 PM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 19, 2010 at 02:30 AM
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000. A few nights ago the screen glitched, kind of did that static thing where it goes black and parts of the previous screen flash across it and then it went black, (I think this happened in the middle of an update). I restarted it in Safe Mode and it came back on only to go black again after a short time. For awhile the computer would turn on with all the sounds being normal, but the screen remained black. Now, the comp will turn on but be silent, screen still black. I took it to Best Buy and the Geek Squad guy said it looked like the graphics card fried my motherboard. I then called HP and they told me that for $400 they would take a look at it and repair whatever it was that was damaged (I am assuming this means the graphics card and the motherboard?). I would also guess that this basically means I'll practically be getting a new computer. Is this what I should do? Or should I buy a new computer? If those parts are replaced, my computer could technically keep running as long as it did before it died correct?

I am currently as work but will try to hook it up to another montior just to make sure that does not work. But I am kind of at a loss as to what my best option is; either buy a new comp or get this one fixed. Any suggestions?

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 19, 2010 at 02:30 AM
Dear Pax,

Please confirm whether the problem is not coming from your battery or graphic card. Otherwise, it may be that the monitor is faulty.

Thanks in advance.