Missing or corrupted: Windows\System\Vgaoem.f

Closed
Tom - Jul 6, 2010 at 09:27 PM
 notinterestedgoaway - Dec 27, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Hello

Lately when I booted up my computer I got the message "The following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\System\Vgaoem.fon". I found the way to fix the problem on the microsoft support website http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338 . The problem is my administrator password doesn't work in the command console so I just pressed enter and typed in the command from the website. When I press enter it says "The system cannot find the file or directory specified" ( I put the right drives into the command H: and C:). I read somewhere that not putting in the administrator password won't make this work. How do I fix my computer?

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 7, 2010 at 09:34 AM
Hi,

You have to enter the main "Administrator" password, since most of users don't

put password for the main administrator you can simply press enter.

You should get the command prompt as C:\WINDOWS>

try this 1

after getting the command prompt C:\WINDOWS>

type these commands

cd \ and press enter

now your prompt changes to C:\>

Here I assume your CD/DVD drive letter is H which contains the windows xp cd.

type this command

h: and press enter

Now your command prompt changes to H:\>

now type this command.

cd i386 and press enter ( note there is a space between cd and i386)

Now you command prompt changes to H:\I386>

now type this command

expand vgaoem.fo_ C:\windows\system and press enter

(Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_" and there is a

between Vgaoem.fo_ and c:\windows\system)
Thank you so much. That fixed the vgaoem problem but now when I turn on my computer it says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." Then It has some options to choose from "Safe mode, Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt, Last know good configoration (your most recent settings that worked), Start windows normally". I have tried all of them but they all just restart the computer and go back to the same place. Is there any way to fix this??
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 9, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Hello tom,

Sorry for the late reply.

Since none of the options are working for you, try to repair the OS.

Place the windows xp cd and boot from it ----> when setup screen appears, this time press "Enter"--->Accept the license agreement by pressing the F8 key--->then in the next screen press R to repair.
Note: If you have multiple installations, select the OS by using the arrow keys.
My only options on the last screen are:
-To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press enter.
-To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c.
-To delete the selected partition, press d.

The only OS I have which is highlighted under this is:
"C:Partition1 (ACER) [FAT32] 152625 MB (1725 MB free)
Jul 11, 2010 at 04:00 PM
Hi,

Did you failed to get the repair option after the license agreement ?
Yes
Thank you so much. That fixed the vgaoem problem but now when I turn on my computer it says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." Then It has some options to choose from "Safe mode, Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt, Last know good configoration (your most recent settings that worked), Start windows normally". I have tried all of them but they all just restart the computer and go back to the same place. Is there any way to fix this?