Computer powers on but does not boot [Closed]

-
 chad Jamaica -
Hello,

I am trying to respond to another post, but I am not sure if I am in the right place. On Dec 22, 2008, DJ Akshay wrote:

"...The processor cannot be faulty but still if you want to check it, remove the CPU Cooler fan. Then turn on the PC.

Place your finger on the processor for 2 seconds. You should find the processor heating up. Then turn it off immediately. If this works then your processor is good.
Remember not to leave it ON for more than 5 secs."

My question is this:

If the motherboard is bad, will the processor still heat up. I am trying to determine if the problem is the processor or the motherboard because I bought them from seperate companies and of course, they each want to blame the other. Long story short, replaced motherboard and processor, now fans are running, but no video at all. No words on screen, no beeping at all. I took ram out and booted like that and it didn't even detect that ram was missing. No beeping. Also removed battery and booted, same thing, no beeping, nothing. Unplugged everything from motherboard other than front panel power, booted it, no beeping, no video, nothing. So trying to determine if it is motherboard or processor problem. Anyway to test the processor if the motherboard is not working? Or test motherboard if processor is not working?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

3 replies

Registration date
Tuesday June 22, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 17, 2010
Hello Julie, :)
although it was a well edited text, I did not understand if now you did got the problem or you just want to know for knowing :)
Anyway, you could try another processor knowing as functioning with your motherboard as you could try a knowing fine motherboard on the processor :)
Is it the answer to your question?
PS: Who is DJ Akshay?
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Security contributor
Last seen
May 17, 2020
Hi Julie,

1) If you notice that your CPU FAN is running, but failed to get any display, then

there must be some problem in your motherboard. Example : There will be a

component that will send signal to your BIOS chip , if that component gets

damaged then even if the processor is fine and CPU Fan is running, you won't

get any display because BIOS is not getting activated.

or If any component related to RAM is damaged even then you won't get display.

2) If there is a major problem in your motherboard, then even when you

switch ON, the processor fail to work and you can also notice that cpu fan won't

be running.

Note : If you remove your CPU cooling FAN to check the processor, don't keep it

ON more than 2-3 secs otherwise your processor may get damaged.

Most of the cases the problem will be with the motherboard.

Even check your RAM aslo. Even bad RAM results you no display in monitor.
Registration date
Tuesday June 22, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 17, 2010
Yeah julie that is the best solution if you don't see any obvious physical damage such as broken parts or bent pins or black soot when inspecting the motherboard and CPU.
Warning: If you apply power to a motherboard with an Athlon or Duron processor without the CPU fan connected, even for a few seconds, you will fry it
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Security contributor
Last seen
May 17, 2020
Hello toubib32,
Most of the cases its hard to find the damaged component. Even a minor component can create a problem. But when it comes to capacitors, if we notice a bulge shape at the upper end then its damaged.
Registration date
Wednesday July 14, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 14, 2010

Hello, I am sorry for not answering sooner, I have been at work and very busy. Also, I tried to reply twice, but I guess I was not signed in. So here's the thing, I was replacing the motherboard because of random problems that the computer was having which, through the process of elimination led me to believe it was a bad motherboard. So I install this "refurbished" motherboard with a new processor and then find that I have no picture, beeps or anything, just the sound of the fans running. Keep in mind every other part of the computer works on a different computer. So I am thinking bad motherboard, but the company doesn't think its a bad motherboard because I bought the processor from another place and they want to blame the processor. So I was trying to find a way to test the processor. But if the motherboard is bad, I assume the processor would not heat up, even if it was a good processor. Also, it is my understanding that the processors don't go out as often as the motherboards. There are no swollen capacitors on the motherboard and no obvious damage. So is there any way to test the processor if the motherboard is bad?
Registration date
Wednesday July 14, 2010
Status
Last seen
July 14, 2010

Ok, now I feel silly. I just found the other two comments I had written. I also see that you answered the question about if the motherboard is bad the processor won't get hot. I am sorry for any confusion. This is my first time in here and I am trying to find my way around. Thank you so much for your answers
Hi I read until I'm tired and no result. Four hours ago I changed my system housing and up to this minute only the fan on the processor is working, the led and reset light are on, no beeping . Shud I put everything in the Dumpster?
I just built a new machine using an AMD processor and a Gigabyte motherboard. Twice now after working on the machine, I can turn the power on, but nothing works and I cannot turn the power off without pulling the plug or switching from the case rear. I discovered that by removing all of the usb devices from the rear of the machine, the system will boot and screen will display. When I add all the USB devices back on to the running machine, everything works fine from then on. So - try removing anything connected to the machine except for the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Maybe that will work. It did for me.