Networking connection

Closed
Frazzled - Dec 8, 2008 at 07:03 PM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 8, 2008 at 09:38 PM
Help!

I am having a networking problems and my computer technician can't figure it out. I have a home based business and recently we had to bring a second computer into the scheme of things. After running an ethernet cable from the main computer to the second computer; everytime I try to access the internet - especially after trying to access websites - the computer either reboots or crashes/shuts down totally. I am trying to network the computers also to share word and excel documents with the intention of what I do at computer "2" can be viewed by the main computer and the data being viewed is current after I process my daily updates of excel documents. Can someone try and help me out. Since I myself am not real computer saavy, please provide any suggestions in laymans terms.
Thanks for your help!!!

1 response

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 09:38 PM
The easiest way to do this is NOT by directly connecting them my friend!

By default computers in Windows XP are part of the workgroup called Workgroup.
Give them a identically named workgroup (it's case sensative so be careful) then make a folder on Computer 2 just for sharing documents between them. Then right click on the folder, and click share.

Any documents in that folder will be viewable by the other computer under My Network, or you could create a desktop shortcut for it, or you could map it as a network drive under my computer!

So it's flexible, easy, and made to work right out of the box! (windows workgroup networking that is.)

So the only change other than making a workgroup name you would need, was to instead connect both computers to a router, and connect your internet connection directly into the router. Make sure your TCP/IP settings match what they should to work with the router and Viola, your problems are solved.