Software connection loss after virus gone

Closed
Mortis - Aug 7, 2010 at 06:01 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 10, 2010 at 03:52 PM
Hello,

A few months back, my computer was infected with a Trojan, and I literally have no idea how it got on there. After I got rid of the virus there was some damage left behind that I didn't acknowledge fully. My internet got back up to par, and everything else seemed to work fine, except for the software installed on my computer that required connecting to the internet, such as divx searching for an update, or real player trying to register my account, my zune software doesnt connect to the marketplace anymore, and I can't acquire certain updates that need the internet. I can still use firefox or chrome or whatever, it's just that after this virus was deleted, some software can't connect to the internet anymore. I've tried reinstalling the software, but that doesn't seem to work. I don't know how to fix it. Help me?

Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Aug 8, 2010 at 05:59 AM
Greetings,

To do a total repair and really clean the system, I suggest the following:

To keep your system safe, you must follow the instructions hereunder to the letter:

1. Download Combofix to your desktop.

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2.Close all open Windows including this one.

Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

3. Double click on the ComboFix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

4. Accept the disclaimer and the recovery

5.You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer.

ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings.

If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

During the process, please do not mouse click nor must you tap on the keyboard. Let the tool run.

Good luck

Ambucias
well, i forgot to mention that I have windows 7 and it appears combofix doesnt work for it. ):
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Aug 10, 2010 at 06:49 AM
Sorry I missed your reply

Please here is a tool, less sophisticated as Combofix which just might kill this vicious virus:

? Donwload List_Kill'em

double click

Click on end and the programme will self start

Select Search

A black and white icon will appear on the desktop and will serve to relaunch the programme, another red and black will serve to uninstall the programme after disinfection.

? Leave the tool work

When the white window appears, it's a little long, it is normal the programme is free to run

You may post the report after the scan is 100% completed.

Good luck and please let me know.

http://sd-4.archive-host.com/membres/up/829108531491024/Mes_Tools/List_Killem_Install.exe
i havent tried it yet, but im not looking for a virus cleaning thing because the virus is already gone. Im just having trouble getting my software connected to the internet, not my browser though.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 10, 2010 at 03:52 PM
I understood that! I thought that repairing the damages that the virus had done was a good solution. I was wrong!

The next step I recommend is to uninstall the softwares and to reinstall notwithstanding the removal of the same software from the registry. Then reinstall and you should regain internet connection.

Regards