Black screen with cursor in corner, no DOS

Solved/Closed
Monkner - Aug 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM
 MONKNER - Jan 23, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Hello,
Yesterday my computer crashed and now it won't boot up. I just get the black screen with the cursor ( _ ) in the upper left hand corner. As far as I know I can''t access DOS or anything else. When I hook up the crashed drive as an external, I can see everything in it, which I would suspect means that it still works. I have no recovery CD, except for a boot disk that I made from Maxtor and even that won't do it. It says it will boot Windows, but nothing happens when I click on it. Am I doomed to computer hell forever, or is there a way to fix this? I've looked at all the fixes on this site, and it seems they all are predicated on getting into DOS or Windows in some way or another.

Thanks to anyone that will give it a shot.

Todd

Related:

4 responses

I have the same problem--did you ever get an answer you could use to fix it yourself? thanks!!
I copied all the critical info onto another hard drive, then I had to reload Windows with a Dell CD that came with the computer onto a new drive.
How do I log into safe mode if I can't get past the black screen with the cursor?
My Dell Dimension 8400 PC just did the same thing. And I did have the original CD for recovery. Absolutely nothing worked. Still with black screen, blinking cursor.
Sadly for me I had to totally reload Windows. Doing the Recovery thing would not work. Once I loaded Windows fresh, poof it was fixed. Weird.
Blocked Profile
Aug 15, 2010 at 04:49 AM
Dear Sir,

Please log in safe mode and have the system repaired in order to get the problem solved.

Thanks in advance.
How do I log into safe mode if I can't get past the black screen? Is there some step I'm unaware of? I've pressed F2 and F12 as it's loading, and those do nothing.