Help I have not seen a virus like this!

Solved/Closed
johnnyfire - Aug 23, 2010 at 06:53 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 27, 2010 at 05:28 AM
Hello,

This laptop is an Hp Pavillion running XP I think the problems are too much so I will tell you what it cannot do
1. cannot go into SAFE MODE
2. Cannot run any scanning prog. Malwarebytes, HiJackThis, Root Kit Repealer, Search and Destroy, etc.
3. Cannot open/run any directory with scanning Prog.
4.Cannot stop the malicious process in task manager (as you kill it ,it reappears)
5. cannot format with new install as it hangs
6. cannot link to internet or network by wired or wireless
7.cannot run msconfig,regedit etc

what it can do
run Xp in normal mode
run ccleaner and the likes but cannot remove virus
recover xp from hard disk but brings back the virus with it

I AM GOING MAD i FEEL LIKE TELLING THE OWNER OF THE LAP TO CHUCK IT BUT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE A PRO THIS IS A BIG SLIGHT ON MY REP PLEASE ANY SUGGEST!

Related:

8 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 24, 2010 at 08:13 AM
To fix the problem, I must have a Hyjacthis log.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Please download, install and request a scan and save a log. Copy the log and post it here.

Regards
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Aug 23, 2010 at 07:14 AM
hi
this usaly happens if sytem boot files are infected or corrupt

if using a desktop pc then remove the hard dirve and connect it to the motherboard of a computer (running operating system XP) thats working fine restart the system, the system upon boot will rectify ur system files. once started , scan that hard drive with updated anti virus patch files
upon completion shut down ur system, remov the hardrive and refit it to ur original machine, now start ur system.....

should boot normally

if using laptop remove the hardrive and fit it in an external hard drive case and attch it to a sytem via usb scan the drive for virus.. upon completion shut down ur system, remov the hardrive and refit it to ur original machine, now start ur system.....

awaiting comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai india
hmmm, sounds like youve had a virus for a while and its in its end stages of wrecking your pc. you said you cant get into safe mode. while the computer boot at all, will windows load? if so, try loading a previous restore point, maybe the oldest one you have. mikes idea is a good one too. unless you dont have another computer to scan your hard drive on. if all else fails, you can call microsoft for help and they will walk you through it( no charge). I had a nasty virus six months ago and couldnt get online to run their online scan, which they like you to do first. luckily i caught the virus right away before it did permanent damage. the number is 800-936-5700 or 425-635-7222. that is if you are running a legit copy of windows. if not that could be part of the problem too. worse comes to worse you will have to wipe and reformat your drive and re install windows and all programs. hope you have a external drive as a back up with your important stuff on it. if not, i would get one. you can get a 1 TB seagate for 70 bux onsale now.
Will not allow me to load system restore,msconfig,regedit it will ust flash and hide in background

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
varfendell Posts 3256 Registration date Wednesday December 26, 2007 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2020
Aug 23, 2010 at 07:42 AM
hello,

If you can try to do this:

- download & instal malwarebyte
- make a scan
- delete all infection
- restart your computer if asked

then

- download and instal hijackthis
- make a scan
- post the log in the topic

(sorry for my english, i'm french ^^)
I have tried all that the problem is that the virus will not let any of those programs install/run/open
varfendell Posts 3256 Registration date Wednesday December 26, 2007 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2020
Aug 23, 2010 at 09:56 AM
ok, so boot in safe mode with networking.

write the instruction because you will have to restart your computer.

Then try to instal malwarebyte or combofix
Look at my initial write up I tried to do that too but it will not go into safe mode!
Aug 24, 2010 at 02:02 AM
what does it say when you try to install/run/open or when you try the safe mode?
Aug 24, 2010 at 07:27 AM
you can try a scan online with this web site:

https://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/8872-scanner-en-ligne-avec-bitdefender

i'm sorry, it's in french, but i can translate if you want
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Aug 24, 2010 at 07:34 AM
Hi,
Here is the en.kioskea link for the same trick in english language : https://ccm.net/faq/6450-online-scan-with-bitdefender

Many CCM FAQ tricks are translated in english, make a search and you will find them. ;)

Best regards and welcome
Aug 24, 2010 at 07:40 AM
@aquarelle:
i'm sorry, i'm french, and i used to help on the french part of this web site so .....^^
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Aug 24, 2010 at 07:54 AM
I know your are French and me too. But here people are English, Hindu, American, Saudi Arabian, Philippine, Russian... then they don't speak french. It is preferable to use only english trick link.

Thanks for your understanding.
in the end it was simple. I had to format the disk but first I had to delete the backup cos that was infected too. then I did a fresh install. my surprise is that the backup disk on the computer(for rebuild) is normally clean. You learn every day thanks for all your help!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 27, 2010 at 05:28 AM
Thank you for lettings us know, it is much appreciated.