CD/DVD Drives are now missing

Closed
maggithematpie - Dec 16, 2008 at 06:54 PM
 maggithematpie - Dec 16, 2008 at 06:57 PM
I had a spyware problem on my desktop last night and used Stopzilla and Spy Sweeper to take care of it. While that issue was taken care of, I think the program accidentally deleted my DVD-R/CD drives from my desktop. I put in a DVD or CD and it won't open. I went to 'My Computer" and saw that the hard drives listed are C & D and the other drives listed are, G,H,I,J and K. There is no E or F drive...I think those are the drives that I need to play my DVD or CD? Is there anything I can do to get those drives back on my computer? No CD will open in itunes and no CD or DVD will open in either Windows Media Player or the other DVD player I have on my computer.

I got rid of the upper and lower registries as one web site suggested, but that didn't work and in fact, now my NVIDIA Geforce 7300 LE is missing and I can't fix it with my Driver Detective because I deleted the registries.

I would actually be interested in doing a full system recovery to put it in the same state as when I first got it; however, not only do I not have recovery discs (my computer never came with them), but if the CD plays aren't registering that there is a CD in it, then that probably won't work. Is there a way to conduct a system recovery without a CD? I understand that this wipes out everything from my computer and I am currently backing up everything that is important to me, onto discs.

So if you can tell me how to conduct a recovery without the CDs, that would be okay.

Oh, and I tried the system restore on the computer, where you pick a time that you want to restore your computer back to, and that's f'd up too because it won't let me set it for a time before this whole thing happened. It's so weird. I've used that before and could set it for just about any day or time, but now, there are no system recovery starting points before Saturday...it's like they all freakin disappeared!

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition and a Gateway computer.

Thanks,
Maggi
Related:

1 response

maggithematpie
Dec 16, 2008 at 06:57 PM
Oh, I should note that when I say I'm backing things up on discs, I mean that I am actually moving stuff via a USB flash drive, onto my laptop, and then putting everything on discs. If anything, this is finally making me clean up my desktop and get rid of stuff I don't need/use anymore, lol