USB Portable Hard Drive not showing in Vista

Closed
Diogenesis Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday September 8, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2010 - Sep 8, 2010 at 04:39 PM
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 - Sep 9, 2010 at 05:04 AM
Hello,

I connected a new 500G portable hard drive to a front USB port on my HP PC (with an AMD Phenom X4 quad core processor), running Windows Vista Home Premium. Windows showed a pop up saying that the driver software was being installed, then said: USB Device installed. The software for the device was successfully installed and it's ready to use.

However when I looked for the drive in Windows Explorer it wasn't there. I've read through this forum, and using information I've gathered I accessed Computer Management on my PC, in Storage/Disk Management - at the top it only shows drive C: and factory image drive D: but below that, where Disk 0 is allocated to drives C: & D: it Shows Disk 1, unknown, not initialized. Assuming this is the drive in question I attempted to initialize the disk, but then get the error INCORRECT FUNCTION.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I have updated Windows, updated the Bios, checked for newer device drivers, etc. If the Drive hasn't been assigned a letter, there seems to be no way to reassign or partition it without initializing it, which I'm not being allowed to do.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Related:

1 response

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 9, 2010 at 05:04 AM
Hi there,

Connect your usb portable device at the back of pc on available usb ports,if still not detected then open run and type diskmgmt.msc then press on ok/enter.When window pop up you will see the disk in raw partition you need to right click on it and create new partition .

Thanks