Unable to boot to windows CD w/ide drive

Closed
RedRooster - Sep 17, 2010 at 09:09 AM
 RedRooster - Sep 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM
Hello,
I am trying to install XP Pro onto a new Western Digital HD. With the HD attached, and the bios set to boot from DVD, then HD, I get the "boot From CD" message, then an Invalid Boot Disk message. The wierd thing is, when i disconnect the HD Power, or From the Ribbon Cable, it boots from DVD just fine and starts the install process. If i reconnect the HD, it starts to boot from DVD, then gives invalid boot disk error. Its acting like its not booting from the DVD, and then looking at the HD. If it is, then the message is correct because there is nothing on the HD.

MOBO is Jetway M26GT4
HD is WD 200GB
DVD is Toshiba DVD ROM

Here is what ive already tried:

HD Set as Master and on Grey 80 cable Ribbon plug (Middle)
DVD Set as Slave and on Black 80 cable Ribbon Plug (End)
Both Drives registered in Bios
Bios set to boot DVD then HD
Ive reset the BIOS with the jumper on the MOBO
ive replaced the MOBO battery
Tried with both set to Cable Select, and on both cable positions.

Maybe i need to update the BIOS, but don't know how without a floppy drive.

Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 17, 2010 at 09:15 AM
Hi there,

Both hard drive and dvd drive are they connected to same ide cable or different?if different then set both jumpers to master,try and give your feedback,are there sata ports on motherboard?

Thanks
Yes, both are on the same IDE Cable. This MOBO only has 1 IDE, and 4 SATA2 connections. Ive thought about getting an IDE/SATA cable adapter and putting the HD on the SATA connection.
Yes, both are on the same IDE Cable. This MOBO only has 1 IDE, and 4 SATA2 connections. Ive thought about getting an IDE/SATA cable adapter and putting the HD on the SATA connection
does anyone have any ideas?? I still cant get it to work...