WD storage device sounds like 'busy signal'

Closed
Kathie - Sep 16, 2010 at 08:47 PM
 Kathie - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Hello,

When I plug in my WD storage device it makes a weird sound and it isn't recognized in My Computer. I recently (within days) backed up a BUNCH of files including pictures and tonight this! I'm panicking a little as I just erased my iPhone because I had everything saved - or so I thought!

Help! I'm not the most tech-savvy but I am relatively intelligent and can follow directions!

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 17, 2010 at 04:50 AM
Dear Sir,

Please provide more information about the matter so that we get to see into the matter and hence help you about it.

Thanks in advance.
the device shows up (and disappears if I unplug it) in the control panel but does not appear in My Computer for me to choose to open, save to, etc....
Saman.tha Posts 1382 Registration date Monday May 25, 2009 Status Moderator Last seen September 14, 2015 33
Sep 17, 2010 at 09:51 AM
Hello Kathie, most of the time it is a driver issue, so I'd suggest to re-install the drivers for your storage device. You should find them on the WD support page.
I tried that last night but will try again (fresh look new day?)...also maybe rebooting after re-installing?
thank you - if you (anyone) think of anything else please post!
There is no driver for the WD Passport I have (I checked the reference on the WD site for this). When I plug the drive into the USB port the device does not show available in My Computer. When I go to the Control Panel and plug in or unplug the device it shows USB connected or not there. Also when plugged in the eject icon appears in the tray and has the 'safely eject mass storage device' option.