Confusing virus affecting computer

Closed
TwistedFire Posts 2 Registration date Saturday December 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2008 - Dec 21, 2008 at 01:05 PM
 bennyli - Feb 21, 2010 at 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure my computer has downloaded a virus, and I'm completely stuck as to what to do.

Ok, to start from the beginning, I have McAfee SecurityCenter, which, while it does protect my computer from some viruses and spyware, doesn't recognize a lot of viruses. I really don't want to download anything to my computer, so I use System Restore.

Today, I got a popup from McAfee stating that it has removed a Trojan. Shortly after that, I get several popups in a row announcing a registry change, which I blocked. Then, whenever I opened Internet Explorer, I would get different popup advertisements. Now, I've had a similar virus before (Internet Speed Monitor) that I had gotten rid of, so I thought that it had somehow downloaded itself onto my computer again. However, it isn't Internet Speed Monitor, and I have no clue what it's called.

I tried to do a System Restore (once again, I try to avoid downloading things to my computer), but for some reason, on the calendar to select a restore point, it wouldn't let me click on any restore points. The only point it would allow me to click on was one set for earlier today. I did a full System Restore but the virus was still on my computer. I tried to set my own restore point for a few days ago, but, though System Restore claimed to have restored my computer, the virus still wasn't removed. In addition, Windows Security Alerts are now disabled. I click on the button that says, 'Turn Automatic Updates On' but I get a popup that says, 'We're sorry. The Security Center could not change your Automatic Updates.' I tried to do it manually, and though the 'Automatic Updates' is checked, they're still turned off.

My dad told me to do a McAfee Security Scan (even though I protested that it wouldn't detect anything), so I began one. After about twenty minutes of scanning, my computer rebooted itself, saying that it has recovered from an error. I'm no longer getting advertisement popups when I'm on Internet Explorer, but I still can't click any restore points in System Restore and Automatic Updates are still turned off.

I really don't want to download anything (I can't be sure anything on the Internet is legitimate anymore), but I've got no idea what to do and my anxiety is through the roof. Can someone help me, or am I completely screwed?

Sorry I've written so much, but I'm trying to give as much information as possible. Thanks for your patience.
Related:

4 responses

Hello I was having the same problem with the McAfee software, so I unstalled it and got Norton Internet Security
and Fix It Utilities Professional, what norton does is keep all connections to the internet cleaned and secure,
checking for new updates with the live update virus protection, and also keeping all popups blocked, keeping your
computer free, and with Fix It you can know when your system is not up to par a message will come on the
monitor advising you to one click repair or you can do a full diagnostic along with other functions like cleaning
the registry which sounds like your problem, even though you delete files and folders off your system parts
of the files & folders still remains in the registry, with the two programs i mentioned once you install them you
will basically do nothing but enjoy your computer, norton will scan your system first and if it finds viruses it
will remove them before it actually download the protection onto your system hope this helps
TwistedFire Posts 2 Registration date Saturday December 20, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2008
Dec 21, 2008 at 02:22 PM
Yeah, I used to have Norton (free trial or something like that) but then it expired and we had to pay for it. Dad hates paying for anything via internet.

Is Norton Fix It free? If so, then I'll probably be able to use it (I know that Norton is legitimate), but if not, I won't be able to get it.
chiblinx Posts 7 Registration date Sunday February 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2009 1
Mar 31, 2009 at 04:56 AM
there several way of removing viruses. firstly you must know the kind of virus disturbing your computer and how they. sometimes mcafee does not remove it even if it detects it. for type of viruses and their symptoms check http://online-computer-repairs.blogspot.com/2008/12/types-of-computer-virus.html for how to remove viruses manually try http://online-computer-repairs.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-remove-desktop-virus.html
Hi People ! ! ! !
will to be i use Avira Anti-virus with Comodo internet security and its very good
i would recommend u guys to use avira anti-virus and a good internet security like Comodo, F-secure internet security is good too, and other one u can google it
why do I get a popup and a five star icon on the toolbar telling me my power point program isn't original???? It's the original one loaded into my microsoft programs so I know that it is and my computer was bought new. Is this a virus scam?
nobody important
Dec 14, 2009 at 02:52 PM
Heres a quick fix to any virus problem: SYSTEM RESTORE

Everytime you update your computer or do something else of importance a restore point is created. This preloaded program allows you to go back to exactly how your computer was at that exact time. BEFORE A VIRUS!
To access go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. It really is that simple!

If that doesn't work because you have a bad virus that doesn't let do anything or even get to the home screen/desktop, there is still a fix. I'm not sure this actually good for your pc but it works!
1.hold the power button on the tower until the computer shuts down
2.release the power buton and press it again (this time releasing) to turn the computer on
3.a screen may come up before start-up that says windows did not shut not properly. Just go to start windows normally and select it.
4 when the microsoft corp. loading bar comes up quickly hold power button to turn off computer
5. press again to turn computer on
6. this time you will get a start-up repair screen. launch the start-up repair
7. from there it will process and a pop-up will come up that says to do a restore. click it
8. the computer will restart-hopefullt virus free

P.S. I only have tried this on Windows Vista
also step 7 may not come up

If this does not work- SORRY! ='[
Hello,

I had the same problem some time ago with XP 32-Bit & Norton. After some very intense computer investigation and troubleshooting I found that the only program that would remove this particular problem was at Hello ,

Go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/
And download 1.43

It will clean that off your computer.

McAfee and Norton will not get this off your computer.

I now use this program in combination with Spyware Doctor and have been virus free. My computer runs faster without Norton as well.

I am currently running Windows 7 64-Bit and everything is fine. I initially had the problem on XP 32-Bit as I said above.

Mark
Jazzy Fay50 > MRankin
Jan 9, 2010 at 09:25 AM
Wow that's alot of writting that you had to do ! ! ! !
ghm > MRankin
Feb 21, 2010 at 07:46 PM
I have avirus that is a lot like the ones on the post, ECEPT, it wont let you run malwarebytes or avg or superantispyware. It takes you to a warning page that you cant navigate awy from if you try to go to any oage with virus remoal tools. How do i get rid of it? Do I do a retore system form the safe mode? Any way to get step by step instructions?> Thanks