PC-Mac Backup Issue with ext HD.

Solved/Closed
johnnysolo84 - Oct 2, 2010 at 09:18 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Hello, so I switched to a mac years ago, and my parents finally decided to do the same. They wanted their pictures and documents backed up and put on their new mac. I have an external WD mybook mirror which i tried plugging into the pc, with the drivers installed the disk was found, but didn't mount. I did some reading and realized that you need software for the pc to mount and be able to open the mac formatted had drive. So I installed the software, an opened up the HD. Then I copied the stuff they wanted backed up onto the HD. Well... Now it won't mount back onto my mac, and when I run the disk utility and try to verify or repair the hard drive I get errors. So I think I understand how I messed up. I wrote information in the wrong format onto the drive and now basically it's corrupt. I can still mount and open up the hard drive using the pc, but I am hoping there is some way of repairing the drive and avoiding having to dump and reformat it. I really over estimated the pc software for use with a mac hard drive and I am full of regret... Now gigs of important backed up info hang in limbo... Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance ~ Johnny

Related:

1 response

Used Diskwarrior to repair the drive. Worked amazingly well. Highly recommend this program.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Hello,
Thanks for coming back and letting us know about it.
Regards.