Netbook screen only works external monitor

Closed
Havok085 - Oct 9, 2010 at 05:47 PM
 Havok085 - Oct 10, 2010 at 01:51 PM
Hello,
I have a Samsung NC10 netbook that I purchased about a year ago. About a week ago, I noticed that when I attempted to turn it on, the screen got scrambled and distorted at the windows login screen. I booted into safe mode and the screen was fine. Same goes for VGA mode. I figured it must be a driver issue, so I uninstalled the Intel 945 Express Chipset driver and and reinstalled the latest version from Intel's site. (I already had the current version before, but did this anyways) I still had the issue.

After that, I uninstalled the driver, and used the default windows pnp and was able to boot up normally, just at 800x600 resolution. Thinking my windows files might have been corrupted, I decided to upgrade my system from Windows XP to Windows 7.

About half way through the install, the screen got distorted again (to the point where you can't make out anything except a blue screen with a distorted line at the very top where you can see the top of your pointer). At this point, I plugged an external monitor into the netbook and voila, the screen corrected itself even though the image on the external monitor was now distorted and I was able to complete the install.

When I unplugged the monitor, the netbook screen went back to how it was before. I installed all the proper drivers for windows 7 for my graphic card, and still had the same problems. However, after I installed Samsung's Easy Display Manager, whenever I unplugged the monitor from the netbook, the netbook's screen stayed normal.

This would be all well and good if it corrected itself permanently, but it seems that every time I restart the computer or wake it up from hibernation mode, I have to "jump start" the screen from that external monitor by plugging it in and unplugging it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've searched all over for a similar issue, and it seems no one else suffers from this. I've even opened the screen to see if the ribbon in the back was loose, but everything seemed fine with it.

Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 10, 2010 at 05:48 AM
Hello,

The fact that the external monitor displays correctly, it means that there is no issue over the graphic card.

The most common source to result in such a problem is the CCFL inverter or still lamp which is damaged. This might have happened for the simple reason that there is an overcharge of static electricity on it. You will hence have to get the CCFL replaced.

It will be more advisable to get it to a Repair Shop if you do not have proper knowledge how to do it.

Good luck.
But if the CCFL inverter is damaged, would I still be getting a picture on my computer? After I plug the monitor into the VGA port and then unplug it, the picture stays corrected on the notebook's screen. The backlight seems to be fine, I can dim and brighten it. I was thinking that it may be something wrong with my VGA port.