Hard Drive configuration

Closed
PAC - Dec 24, 2008 at 04:42 AM
pactpc40 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 23, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2008 - Dec 30, 2008 at 06:17 AM
Hello,
I have an IBM Think Centre e50 with XP pro installed. The drives are one 250 GB sata run on a pci sata card. 1- 250 GB WD and 1- 500 gb WD IDE drives run on Motherboard IDE-1 cable another 500 gb wd hard drive run on a pci SCSI card. The 250 GB WD on the IDE-1 cable has the op system. The other IDE cable has a CD-dvd-r and a cd-cdr on it. (Yes I had to run a second power supply.)The hard drive with the op system failed. I replaced it and reinstalled windows. After the re-install the computer would not start until I removed all drives not on IDE-1. Finally started up and I bought drives online while it was started.
Problem, I can get sata to run if SCSI is not hooked up. I can get SCSI to run if SATA is not hooked up. the only way the machine will start is by hitting f-12 and choosing start with hard drive and manually choose the disc with the op system. The drive in question will not show up on disc manager. when I switch it shows up. I had this system running before the crash. I am sure there is some small configuration that i missed when I reinstalled the op sys.
I would like to get all drives online while computer is running and I would like to be able to start without going through the F-12 step.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Dec 24, 2008 at 07:15 PM
I would re-install Windows with only the C drive and CD's hooked-up (the IDE devices). After the OS is running I would then add the PCI cards and drives ONE set at a time. Windows install is sometimes overwhelmed when it sees too many drives and controllers.
pactpc40 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 23, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2008
Dec 30, 2008 at 06:17 AM
Okay I tried that. Once I hook up either the SATA or the SCSI card I get the error loading OS. I can then disconnect the drive and start normal or keep one drive connected and choose F12. I still for some reason cannot get the system to reconize both drives at the same time.

Thanks for any help.