Windows XP HD problem [Closed]

Registration date
Tuesday October 19, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 20, 2010
-
 Blocked Profile -
Hello, I recently purchased a new WD hard drive for my ultimate TV (DVR if you don't know what that is) because I thought the HD was bad. Well the drive wasn't the problem it was the motherboard, so I have another UTV unit that works fine and I wanted to install the new drive into the other UTV. It appears that UTV marry's the drive to the first machine it is placed into. So I removed the HD and plugged it into my desktop to reformat the drive.

When I plug the drive in and start the PC windows XP finds the new device and loads it in device manager but it doesn't assign it a location (drive letter) it is listed a 0 drive in device manager. In the disk management screen this drive is not listed so I cant delete the partition or reformat it. Is there a way to reformat a drive or wipe all the stuff n it other than going through disk management? Obviously the UTV formatted the drive in such a way that windows doesn't like what should I do?

2 replies

Registration date
Saturday May 23, 2009
Status
Contributor
Last seen
October 20, 2010
go here,

http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=28

you may be able to use this disk to fdisk the hdd so that windows can get at it again.
Registration date
Tuesday October 19, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 20, 2010

Thanks for the reply sharpman, will this disk work even if Windows is not assigned the drive in question a letter. that seems to be the problem device manger says it's working fine but I can't access the drive anywhere.
Blocked Profile
Hi ,

What about the jumper on the hard drive where did you set it?master?slave or cd?or did not use a jumper on it?

Thanks