Windows XP HD problem

Closed
Coroner25 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 20, 2010 - Oct 19, 2010 at 09:27 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 20, 2010 at 05:17 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a new WD hard drive for my ultimate TV (DVR if you don't know what that is) because I thought the HD was bad. Well the drive wasn't the problem it was the motherboard, so I have another UTV unit that works fine and I wanted to install the new drive into the other UTV. It appears that UTV marry's the drive to the first machine it is placed into. So I removed the HD and plugged it into my desktop to reformat the drive.

When I plug the drive in and start the PC windows XP finds the new device and loads it in device manager but it doesn't assign it a location (drive letter) it is listed a 0 drive in device manager. In the disk management screen this drive is not listed so I cant delete the partition or reformat it. Is there a way to reformat a drive or wipe all the stuff n it other than going through disk management? Obviously the UTV formatted the drive in such a way that windows doesn't like what should I do?

Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Oct 20, 2010 at 01:59 PM
go here,

http://www.madboot.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=28

you may be able to use this disk to fdisk the hdd so that windows can get at it again.
Coroner25 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 20, 2010
Oct 20, 2010 at 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply sharpman, will this disk work even if Windows is not assigned the drive in question a letter. that seems to be the problem device manger says it's working fine but I can't access the drive anywhere.
Blocked Profile
Oct 20, 2010 at 05:17 PM
Hi ,

What about the jumper on the hard drive where did you set it?master?slave or cd?or did not use a jumper on it?

Thanks