Email links

Closed
Alan - Oct 27, 2010 at 06:51 AM
Cassandra_IE_Team Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday October 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2010 - Oct 27, 2010 at 05:32 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to open a link that has been sent to me via email. I used to simply click on the link, and Explorer would automatically open the page.

I now get an error that says:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer"

Please let me know which setting has changed, which prevents IE from opening the link?

2 responses

Saman.tha Posts 1382 Registration date Monday May 25, 2009 Status Moderator Last seen September 14, 2015 33
Oct 27, 2010 at 07:54 AM
Hi,

this could have multiple causes.

1: Something in your email settings changed (in this case we need to know what kind of email service you're using).

2: Something in IE changed. E.g. Security Settings (Got to Tools - Internet Options)

3: Your Anti-virus security settings changed. Or if it is only one link, it may contain dangerous contents or lead to an infected web page and that's why your Anti-virus doesn't let you open the page.

Hope you'll find the solution.
Blocked Profile
Oct 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM
Hi,

i Totally agree with Saman.tha as there must be threats on the link for which its been blocked by your anti virus software,.
Blocked Profile
Oct 27, 2010 at 02:11 PM
Yet, it might be that the administrator has set some restrictions on it and hence you should get it confirmed with him.
Cassandra_IE_Team Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday October 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2010 3
Oct 27, 2010 at 05:32 PM
Hi Alan,

What email program are you using? Is this happening in Outlook? What about other programs such as Hotmail?

As the other answer here suggests, this could have to with your anti-virus program detecting something in the link and doesn' want to open it due to security threats. However, if this is happening with every link you try to open from your email, this is probably not the case. This may have to do with not having IE set as your default browser. To make sure IE is your default browser, follow these steps:

* Click the Start Pearl, and select Control Panel
* Within Control Panel, click Programs
* Underneath Default Programs, select Set your default programs
* In the Programs list, highlight Internet Explorer and click Set this program as default
* Click OK

If you are still having problems, this resource should help you further - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/browsers/nothing-happens-for-clicking-links

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cassandra
IE Outreach Team