Sound on my HP dv3000 does not work!

Solved/Closed
Emily - Nov 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM
 Sandeep - Sep 2, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Hello,

I connected my computer (HP Pavilion dv3000) to my TV via an HDMI cable last night and everything worked just fine. However, after I unplugged it, the sound stopped working. I have checked the volume mixer and all the sound levels are up and nothing is muted. I've had sound issues in the past, but usually it's when I haven't restarted my computer in a long time, and restarting it fixes the issue. However, I have restarted the computer multiple times, as well as tried leaving it off for several minutes and the sound still does not work. It does not work using headphones, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Emily

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 7, 2010 at 02:36 PM
To get sound via the HDMI connection the computer must change the audio from one device to another. Once changed it may have problems when you disconnect the HDMI cable. We expect that everything should be automatic, but the computer manufacturers often don't get it right. This procedure should help:

I had the same problem with no audio when using HDMI cable between my laptop and my HDTV.
This is what I did to fix the problem. Go to control panel and click on the sound icon then then click on digital audio and set to default. Close and then open your player and connect to your tv. There will be no sound on your computer with this setting but you will have sound on your tv. To get sound on your computer again, you need to go back to control panel, sound icon and make the regular speaker default, then open your player and you will have sound again.

Good Luck
Thank you!! I had to restart my computer to get it to work, but I never would have figured that out on my own. I forgot how great it is to have sound! Thanks, again! :)
Thank you so much..!! You have been a real help..!!