Connecting laptop to external monitor

Closed
Kelowna Guy Posts 1 Registration date Thursday November 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 18, 2010 - Nov 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Nov 20, 2010 at 04:05 PM
Hello,

I purchased an external monitor to hook up to my Toshoiba laptop while working on the computer at home. To get the desktop onto the external monitor I right click and selec "Personalize" and then "display settings". Then I setit up so that the externalmonitor is the main monitor and the desktop is extended onto the laptop. That works fine until I turn the computer off at night and then restart it reverts to having the opeative screen on the latop not the external monitor. I am looking for a way to select that the operative screen be on the external monitor and that it stay there until I need to change it back to the laptop for travel. Thank you for your assitance.

Related:

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Nov 18, 2010 at 02:21 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

In the "Display Properties" --> Settings --> Select your external monitor -->

Check the check box "Use this device as primary monitor" --> Apply.

You may have to move your taskbar to that monitor. Hold the left mouse button

and drag the taskbar to the primary monitor.

Good Luck.
Thanks for you suggestion. That is what I have been doing but did give it another try. Unfortuantely when I turned the computer back on it reverted back to the laptop screen. It is not the biggest computer problem in the world to have to select the external monitor on each restart but it does seem to me there should be a way of keeeping it set that way until I need to take the laptop on a trip. I would be really grateful for any further suggestions. Thanks.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Nov 20, 2010 at 02:16 PM
Hello,
Make sure that your external monitor is selected as the primary monitor.
Good Luck.
Yes the external monitor is definately selected as the primary monitor. Thanks for trying to help though.
Nov 20, 2010 at 04:05 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on "Identify" button in the display properties to check display number for your external
monitor. If your external monitor display number is 1 then select the monitor 1 in settings and make that one as primary by unchecking the primary option in monitor 2.
Good Luck.