Black screen and windows xp reinstallation.

Closed
Aquatos00 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2010 - Dec 17, 2010 at 05:47 AM
Aquatos00 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2010 - Dec 17, 2010 at 09:36 PM
Alright,
So I started having problems with the black screen of death months ago. Some virus ended up wiping out my system 32 stuff (or at least corrupting them). I was told to reinstall windows xp media edition, which was the OS I was runnin on it. The first time I did it, everything went along fine, and then that same virus wiped the system 32 files again. I was running norton while allthis was happening. Anyway, a Minh or so passed and I decided to try again, the only problem is, however, when I run the setup for xp, it decides to look for my nonexistent previous OS. Of course it never finds it, and it just sits there looking for it. I've redone the process countless times and I have left it sit for 48 hours straight so it can search. Nothing ever happens. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Dell XPS 410

Thanks in advance for everyone that decides to put their resources into this, it is greatly appreciated!
Related:

2 responses

Dremorain Posts 22 Registration date Friday November 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2010 2
Dec 17, 2010 at 01:19 PM
I don't know much about MBRs/installing other OSes, but I'm sure there's some way to bypass it looking for your other OS. If not, try to find something to repair/remove the old MBR (Master boot record), that's where all the partitions are stored.

Good luck, hope it helps. If not, like I said. I don't know much about installing/removing OSes.
Anonymous User
Dec 17, 2010 at 01:33 PM
That's because you did not install windows properly that you have the black screen, becausethe MBR (Master Boot Record) which is responsible for loading the system is missing, follow this little tutorial to show:

* Make sure you have a bootable CD of Windows XP, or a set of installation floppies.
* You can now restart your computer from the Windows XP CD or set of installation disks (three in number).
* Start the installation itself: first choose the installation by typing the enter key.
* Accept (if desired) the license with the F8 key. Finally, choose the disk to be formatted. The program will show you (if any) that Windows has already been installed in the disc. Then choose to install over using C.
* Then choose one of the Format the partition. Windows NT4/2000/XP: NTFS, Windows 98: FAT32
* Formatting will start after confirmation and installation of Win XP will follow.
Aquatos00 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 17, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2010
Dec 17, 2010 at 09:36 PM
I've tried all that and when I hit F8, the installation just says (at the bottom) "searching for previous versions of Microsoft" and then just sit there, searching forever