Since Win XP SP3 and IE8 installed, no sound.

Closed
Helene - Dec 17, 2010 at 09:15 PM
 Anonymous User - Dec 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Hello, Using Windows XP, automatically updated to SP3 and IE8. Total novice with IE8. Have Windows Media Player and Adobe Flash installed. Separate destop speakers are plugged in and LED light comes on, but get no sound. I can play videos, but also no sound. They were working perfectly before (with IE6). What do I need to do? Thanks.

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Dec 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Greatings...
You might want to check if there are any updated drivers available for the sound card. But first, to answer to your questions

1.It's fine with what steps you have taken before installing Service Pack 3.

2.Now that it is installed, there is no need to reinstall it. We can keep this as a last resort if other troubleshooting does not help.

3.In order to repair Service Pack 3 installation, you will have to uninstall and then reinstall it. There is no need to remove Internet Explorer at this stage.

Now check to see if the following helps.

Method 1: Run this automated troubleshooter and check if it corrects the problem. Open the website and click "Run now" against "Diagnose and fix sound playback issues".

Method 2:
Step 1: Uninstall the audio drivers from device manager.
a. Click Start and right click My Computer.
b. Select Properties and then click the Hardware tab.
c. Click Device manager and expand "Sound, Video and Games
Controllers" from the list
d. Right click the sound card and click Uninstall.

Step 2: Log on to the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest sound drivers\software and check to see if the problem continues.