Troubles with Dual boot Vista and XP Home

Closed
Pete - Jan 2, 2009 at 09:13 PM
 Pete - Jan 3, 2009 at 01:49 AM
Hello,
Ok, here is my issue. I purchased a PC for a friend and it has Vista already installed. Well, I am trying to set up a dual boot system but here is the thing. I know dual boot on the same partition is easy but what I am trying to do is set up XP Home on a separate 320G hard drive (keep in mind, these are both SATA drives). The PC recognizes both drives in Disk Management but when I try to reboot with the XP CD installed, it starts to load the files in the XP blue screen and then after it completes, instead of asking me to install XP it goes into a separate blue error screen saying I should check the hard drive for viruses, and to check the config of the physical drives? SO, I cannot install XP on this separate SATA drive which does not require jumper configuration. Under disk management Vista is installed on C: as it should be and I mapped the secondary drive J: -Under BIOS, it only shows one SATA drive controller and not the second. What am I missing here? Any gurus out there want to help? Thank you much.

Pete
Related:

1 response

E_mc2 Posts 10 Registration date Thursday January 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 8, 2009 4
Jan 3, 2009 at 01:28 AM
hi,
go in your BIOS setup to activate the other drive!
Hello,

Thanks for your response but as stated in my initial request, I have tried this already. It does not show in the BIOS. It should automatically show in BIOS as the other SATA 1 drive does. Thanks.