How can i divide my local disk??

Solved/Closed
torress - Dec 31, 2010 at 07:38 AM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Dec 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Hello,

how can I divide my local disk of 300 gb into 2 disk each of 150 gb??

please help me

thanks in advance :)

1 response

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 31, 2010 at 08:32 AM
hello,

when you partition a hard drive (divide it), it must be formatted aswell. Go to Start, right click on Computer and select Manage (if you're using Vista or 7). Then you should see a window with 3 panelss, in the LEFT most panel, under the "Storage" section, click on disk management. Now you'll see the middle panel fill up. You'll see Disk 0 in the bottom half of the middle panel. From here, you can check detailed info about your hard drive. Right click and look for an option to partition. It very well may be greyed out. This will mean, the only way to do it is to remove everything from the computer, and partition it when you re-install the OS. Are you willing to do that? if you are I can show you the process. Good Luck
hey man thanks man for yur comments

ok so yu mean the only way is to re install my o s ??

no other way??

ok then tell the process

thanks
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM
happy to help. Yeah, if you couldn't create a new simple volume from disk management. Back up everything you want on an external drive and insert you're windows Operating System disc (should come with the computer). Go to the bios and check the Boot Order of your computer and make sure the CD Drive is first in the list (controls to change this will be at the bottom of the screen, probably Page Up and Page Down or + and -) Once the CD boots first, it will bring you to a language selection screen. Select your choice, then Accept any license agreements. The it will bring up a menu with your hard drive(s) for you to choose for the installation. Select the 300GB one, and format it (this option should be at the bottom of the screen). Once formatted, click the Partition button and allocate it to the D drive (letter D) and choose how big you want it to be (150GB as you said before). Then once this is done, select the first partition to install the OS on (the C drive). Once it installs, move your data from the external back. Good luck and happy new year.
hey man yu are a genios man .

thanks for your efforts to make me solve this
Dec 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM
haha thanks, glad I could help and I hope you manage to work it out. Let me know if there is anything else.