User-specific keyboard failure

Closed
Sally - Dec 31, 2010 at 09:09 AM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Dec 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Hello,
I share a computer with several members of my household, each with our own user ids. I cannot use the keyboard when I'm logged on, however my mouse works. The others are able to use the keyboard when logged on with their ids. Could this be a user-specific virus? Any ideas? Plz help.

1 response

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 31, 2010 at 09:30 AM
hello

i dont think a virus has the capabilites of being user-specific. was there every a time the keyboard used to work? and if so, do you know what caused it to stop?
Yes, the keyboard worked has always worked. My daughter was online using my id, when while she was holding down the Right Shift key, a window popped up saying something like " when you hold down the Right Shift button for 8 seconds the numbers lock." The keyboard then locked. She held down the Left Shift button thinking that might unlock the keyboard, which it did. But the next day when I logged on, the keyboard was not functioning.
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Dec 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM
alright, and have you tried unlocking it again? Pressing Shift 5 times enables Sticky keys, which is used so you don't need to press more than one key to perform commands that want a combination of keys.

What i can suggest is to try the following
If you can access the administrators account, try a system restore. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and select "Choose a restore point manually" or something like that. Then, find a point that has a date of before the problem occured. This method may fail if it has been too long since the problem happened. Try that and les see if it works. This will remove any new software installed after the date, but documents will not be affected. And this can be un-done, so to speak.

Hope i can help. Good luck.