Toshiba laptop..HELP! HUGE PROB! HELP!

Solved/Closed
lldjmom Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2011 - Jan 1, 2011 at 06:41 PM
 Lauren S. - Jun 6, 2011 at 09:20 PM
Hello,
Hello,
Okay so my laptop got a virus and the CDrive zonked out and for 2 weeks I kept getting in the back door through the task manager to get to malware and norton 360 and kept running scans with no avail. Then one day it just started working again. I was in bliss for about a week until I realized it wasn't working off of the C Drive it was running off of the D Drive. It wouldnt open the control panel, or many other basic things & it really wasn't running Windows 7. So I was told that if I installed the windows upgrade to 7 Pro it would take care of it....it didn't! So then I decided to Take it down to factory settings and I followed all the instructions...F8 to toshiba recovery to "out of box settings" and when the big WARNING screen came on I took a deep breath and hit enter. All was well for about 15 min and then an error came on and it had me go back. I was on the Screen with all the choices and I didn't pick any, I picked restart on the bottom right hand corner. It went to a black screen and started giving me "BOOTMGR missing".
So today I have been searching the internet for hours. Since the toshibas don't come with windows 7 recovery/installation discs and (dummy me didn't make a back up) I downloaded a windows 7 recovery. I put it in the DVD drive and went to F12 and loaded from DVD/CD. I get all the start up stuff but when it gets to System Recovery Options, I pick Startup Repair, it says that it is attempting to make repairs and then it goes to a screen that says "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically" then I end up back at system recovery options. Then i try system restore no luck, then I go to system image, there is no image to refer too so then it wants me to find one, can't, nothing there. So then it askes for me to install a driver, then it says "insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select the driver". So then I hit OK and it goes to "System 32". What is going on and what do I need to do. Do I need to download the drivers? from where? what ones?

Related:

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Choose the option "Command Prompt" in system recovery options.

Now enter the following commands one by one.

bootrec /fixmbr ----> Press Enter.

bcdedit /export c:\bcd_backup ----> Press Enter.

C: ----> Press Enter.

Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\>

cd boot ----> Press Enter.

Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\Boot>

attrib bcd -s -h -r ----> Press Enter.

ren bcd bcd.old ----> Press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd ----> Press Enter.

Follow the instructions ---> Type exit and press Enter --> Click on "Restart".

Good Luck.
I've been working for 2 whole days to fix a similar problem. This solution SAVED me- I was about to send the computer in to be restored.

Can't thank you enough.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:25 AM
Hello,

Have you solved your issue?

In brief what is the state of your machine now?

Are you able to download anything?
lldjmom Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 1, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM
No I have not solved the issue, in brief, it does nothing and no it will not download anything right now.
I was able to download a windows 7 recovery disc off the internet (using my desktop) and I loaded that in the cd drive and it got me to the system restore options on my laptop but it asks for me to chose an OS and there is none to chose from so then it wants a system image, again nothing to chose from, then it wants me to load drivers and jumps to a category "system 32" with multiple folders and each folder has multiple files but I have no idea which one or how many or what I need to do. DO I load them individually and if so how and which ones. Is there a way to load as a group, if so then how? Or do I just need to order toshiba restore disks so I can recreate the computer I want. If I do that, does it reload windows 7? and if it needs an oem number how do you get that if the oem number that is on the bottom of the laptop is unreadable.....(and what brainiac would put a number that important on the bottom of a laptop, that's like putting your driver's license number on the heels of your shoe!!!)
can you tell I am frustrated, sorry! Spent over 24 hours on this and still probably over 100 hours away from success if there is any. I just know something is working because when you hit the arrow up key on the top toolbar at the "open" screen for "system 32" you get all the way to the "my computer" screen and you see my C drive which is empty, my d drive which is .04 GB of use and a Boot (x) file that has 28.8 of 31.3Mb free so it looks to me like I have a brainless laptop!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 2, 2011 at 04:13 PM
Greetings lldjmom,

Your issue is very interesting and captivating.

However, I do not wish to mislead you with my first impression about the solution. I will seek a second opinion from one of Kioskea's foremost expert in the matter, he is 83 but he is really tops, a cybernetic guru. His user name is jack4all and he may reply to you directly.

Catch you later and best regards
Thanks! I will be looking forward to it. I have ordered restore discs.
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:13 PM
Great news.

If not indiscreet, where did you order from and was there a fee?
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 3, 2011 at 07:31 AM
Hello,
First thanks to "Ambucias"
It seems like since you have tried to restore to the factory settings and as you said "lt was well for about 15 min" and then you got the error. Since OS was not fully restored and as a result of that MBR or the boot file got corrupted or it missing. It may also result in some files to be missing. May be that's the reason why you failed to get the OS in that particular option which you have mentioned "it asks for me to chose an OS and there is none to choose ". Let me know if you are able to go to the "Systerm Recovery Options" and can open the command prompt.
Good Luck
Yes, I can open the command prompt but only if the windows 7 recovery disc is in. I downloaded it yesterday. As long as I boot from CD I can get some movement. I was also given the advice of downloading OTLPENet.exe and I did. When I was advised to boot from it I was to get a display desktop of REATOGO-X-PE and was to dbl clk on the OTLPE icon but none of that happened. The CD ran and tried to open but once it got to the microsoft splash screen a blue "stop error" screen came up (twice) and the message I got was this:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your cmputer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.
Technical Info:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

So that is the message, the more I think about it, it has to have been a virus on my C Drive or a corruption of my C drive. Only problem is that no matter what I ran, Norton, Clean up, Malware, all that I knew, nothing was found. But apparently it is strong enough to cause all this on an attempted "restore to factory". Also, the message asks me to do all this checking....how do I do that when I can't get much response. Only thing I can figure is to go into the belly of the beast with command prompts but I know nothing about that. So I am lost......again
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Hello,
Check your SATA settings in your BIOS. Change to ATA\Compatible mode. But try the below instructions.
Good Luck