Keyboard is not operational

Solved/Closed
sudhir nair Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday January 11, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2011 - Jan 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Jan 14, 2011 at 04:05 AM
Hi,
I have a Dell inspiron 1420 laptop with Win XP OS. Since last 4 months I m facing a very strange problem.
4 months back, one day, while working, I saw a very strange behavior of my laptop. Below is the detailed explanation.
1. The keyboard of my laptop suddenly become non operational. None of the keys would work. Only the mouse used to work fine.
2. After some time, the topmost keys (media related keys i.e. play, rewind, forward, mute, volume up, volume down) will glow and at that time, if i press any key, a lot of keys will get randomly pressed and a lot of characters will display on keyboard. Once those media keys unglow, again the keyboard stops working. Note during all such times, no issues with mouse. It used to work perfectly fine. I got my laptop scanned by anti-viruses like kaspersky, norton, etc. But no use.

Sometime later the frequency of the above phenomena increased and i was seeing this issue more often than not. One day it reached a level, where the keyboard was not at all working and i could operate my laptop using only mouse. I showed it to a technician and he told that this issue is due to the keys shorting in motherboard. He changed the motherboard and fit in a new one. After that he gave the laptop to me.

The laptop worked fine for 2-3 days after that and now the ghost has re-erupted. I m again seeing the same issue that i have described above. However now when the antivirus is operational, i can see the below alert

Virus name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe:KERNEL32.LoadLibraryA
State: Blocked by Buffer Overflow Protection
Detected at: BO:Writable BO:Stack

Now it seems, it is not a hardware issue but a virus issue. Can somebody please help if you know a solution for this problem?

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 11, 2011 at 04:46 PM
Greetings

I don't think it's a virus issue. But to put that hypothesis to the side and really determine if it is a virus...

To help you, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a log.

Open this link and download ZHPDiag :

https://www.zebulon.fr/telechargements/securite/systeme/zhpdiag.html

Register the file on your Desktop.

Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the instructions.

the tool created two icons ZHPDiag and ZHPFix (we will use ZHPFix at the next step).

Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

Click on the Magnifying glass and run the analysys.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

Close ZHPDiag.

To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

Click on Parcourir and search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\Program Files\ZHPDiag).

Select the file ZHPDiag.txt.

Click on "upload »

Copy the url and post it here

Catch you later
sudhir nair Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday January 11, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2011
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Hi,

I have followed the above procedure uploaded the ZHPDiag.txt file in the below link.

https://authentification.site/settings.php?id=828629165&idh=580576315d81f1b551523e75139687c3

Please help.

Sudhir
sudhir nair Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday January 11, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2011
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Hi,

However, i have taken this log when the keyboard is working fine. Note as i told earlier, this phenomena of keyboard not operational is a random phenomena. I will try to fetch logs again when the issue is reproduced again.

Sudhir
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 12, 2011 at 04:58 PM
Hi,

I will not need another log, your system shows an infection whereby some security device has been disabled by a virus.

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
*Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
*Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.
Do not turn it off until your computer is clean and working normally because you might need to use it if something goes wrong during the clean-up process.
It is better to go back to an infected restore point if something goes wrong then to not be able to undo changes that were damaging.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi,

I have downloaded the software and did a full scan. 4-5 malwares were detected. I deleted them. I hope the phenomena doesnt occur again and the issue might have got resolved.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sudhir
Jan 14, 2011 at 04:05 AM
Thank you for feedback

Regards