ACER AM5100 Hard Drive Disabled Accidentally

Closed
tearsmith - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jan 24, 2011 at 01:55 PM
Hello,

I recently moved and for whatever reason, when I set my computer back up, I had no DVD / CD Rom drive. I could find it in the Hardware Manager but there was a yellow explanation point. It just wouldn't recognize it at all. I don't have internet on that PC yet so I couldn't let it search for it's own fix. So I googled the problem and found this forum. Followed the steps below:

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot
your computer

SO, when I opened the "*Class" folder under #3, there were about 12 of the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} listed. I opened the first one, found the Filter keys and deleted them per 6 and then continued to the next 5 or so doing the same thing. It wasn't until about the 6th one that I realized they listed different hardware for each one. IE - #6 was for the mouse. So, I quickly got out of there and rebooted.

Well, apparantly, one of the options I was blindly deleting thru was for my hard drive, bc sure enough.... BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!! It tells me there is a boot file error.... Whatever that means.... AAAAEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Please help. I tried rebooting, got to a WINDOWS REPAIR AUTOMATICALLY screen, ran that, it said to reboot, tried that, got blue screen again.

Everything digital I ever had is on that hard drive (YES, I KNOW, BACK UP FILE!!) Anyway, please help.

I am running Windows Vista if that helps.

Thank you, tearsmith

Related:

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Hello,
Let me know if your able to boot into the safe mode or safe mode with command prompt. When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key). Select the option "Safe mode" or "Safe mode with command prompt".
Good Luck
Ok, that worked with a system restore point from last night. Still have no dvd rom drive. Can u help with that issue? Thanks.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 24, 2011 at 01:55 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and click on "Run Now" found under "Diagnose and fix the problem automatically"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs
Good Luck