Dell D610 Laptop turned off while plugged in.

Closed
Jay50 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 3, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2011 - Mar 3, 2011 at 02:12 PM
Jay50 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 3, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2011 - Mar 5, 2011 at 05:38 PM
Hello, my Dell D610 Laptop shut off on it's own and then it would not turn back on. I always keep it on a desk and have it plugged into the power supply. The battery is only a year old. I check to make sure the laptop is plugged in and press the power button but nothing happens. No lights. The strangest part is even the power supply wasn't lighting up anymore. I unplugged the power supply and came back a half hour later. I plug in the power supply and it turns green. Then I plug it into the laptop and the green light turns off. Do you know how to fix this? If it requires re-soldering the DC jack? OR re-solder anything I might be able to fix on my own? I'm just hoping I can obtain files from the computer somehow?? I was planning on buying a new computer, but I need some of the files that were on the computer. Please and thank you for any help would be appreciated.

Related:

2 responses

djsmurf Posts 98 Registration date Friday January 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2011 19
Mar 3, 2011 at 05:08 PM
The solder connecting the socket to the motherboard on the laptop can come apart, so the socket becomes loose and doesn't work.

Though the Latitude D610 has issues it seems with both PA-10 and PA-12 adapters.

You said that it was always plugged in so you might not know, but did the battery not charge even while it was plugged in?

It may just be an adapter issue.

Some Dell systems use the center pin on the dc jack to identify the adapter being used. These have known to come loose or break. I have repaired a few of these however it is much safer to just buy a new adapter.

If you try to wiggle the plug in the back of the laptop, does the socket move around at all?
Jay50 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday March 3, 2011 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2011
Mar 5, 2011 at 05:38 PM
I got this computer as a hand me down from my aunt. And the entire time I've had it, about a year or so theplug in back has been a very smooth almost loose connection. Yes it does wiggle a little bit. Many times it would fall off by a slight movement and I would have to reconnect the plug. Maybe with this info you can tell if the adapter needs replaced, or the socket is loose and needs re-solder?? thank You!!