Headphone jack

Closed
vancomycin - Mar 20, 2011 at 05:22 PM
 Anonymous User - Mar 24, 2011 at 01:42 PM
Hello,

Why is it that when i plug in my headphones into the socket the sound can still be heard through the laptops in built speakers and through the headphones

PLease can anyone help

1 response

Anonymous User
Mar 20, 2011 at 06:26 PM
Hello,

Go to the control panel, then to hardware and sound, then sound. You should see something called manage audio devices. Plug in your headphones and see if they show up.

If they don't, then either your divers are missing or the the headphone jack itself has failed. In the caseyour drivers that are missing, then all you need to do is either use windows update(it will detect many of your missing drivers) or go to the manufacturers website and look for them there. And also try different headphones, those could have messed up as well.

Now lets say that you do see the headphones show up as an audio device. Then all you need to do is set them as default and that should fix your problem.

Good Luck!
I have done that but as i mentioned before the headphones work fine and so do the speakers but at the same time, i.e when you plug in the headphones into the socket they dont cut off the speakers??? The mange device setting is set to default headphones - I am ver very puzzled and cant listen to movies or anything on trains or in public places as everone else can hear my computer -
Anonymous User
Mar 21, 2011 at 08:12 AM
Hi,
Can you tell me the manufacturer of your sound card.
my computer is a toshiba if thats any good - how do i know the name of my sound card??? I a complete computer nerd sorry

Hope you can help more over this very frustrating problem
Anonymous User
Mar 22, 2011 at 02:57 AM
Hello,
To know your sound card brand, follow these instructions and tell me what you get:

Click on the "Start" menu and then click "Run."

Type "dxdiag" in the run box, then click "Ok."

Click on the "Sound" tab or tabs on the diagnostic pop-up window for detailed information about your sound devices.
its says headphones okDescription: headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0272&SUBSYS_1179FFB4&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5904 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/28/2009 21:00:14, 1966624 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------